Chapter 22

Novalee is in the kitchen making Emma some breakfast.  Emma is wearing some jeans and a baby blue T-shirt with converse low tops as she comes walking in, her hair in a loose fitting ponytail.

"Mom, I think I'm ready to see Cheryl now," Emma says as she sits in the one stool. "Can you take me?"

"Of course," Novalee replies as she pjs some bacon, eggs, and sausage on a plate and places it in front of Emma. "After you eat your breakfast."

Emma smiles at her new mother and she eats the breakfast Novalee made hasn't heard from Alice in a couple weeks, not since Cheryl asked Nova to adopt Emma. But honestly, Novalee is finally fully happy without them. She has an amazing mate who loves her for who she is, and an amazing daughter who means The whole world to her.

Emma rinses her plate our and puts it into the dishwasher. "I'm going to go pee, and go to the car." Emma goes upstairs while Novalee cleans the counter where Emma just ate. 

Emma and Novalee meet at Nova's car in the garage, and Emma opens the garage with a button in the car. They had a car mechanic and an electrician set that up. Novalee pulls out of the garage and she drives to La Push, her second home.

Novalee sees Embry's truck in the driveway when she makes it to Cheryl's.

"Embry's here," Emma exclaims.

Novalee parks and they walk up the walkway. Embry opens the door before they make it, he's teary eyed.

"Thank god you decided to come, Emma," Embry whimpers. "They she has a matter of minutes. Come and say goodbye."

Embry leads Emma into Cheryl's bedroom. Novalee sits on the couch, the smell of diseased blood heavy. She closes her eyes and listens to Cheryl's labored breathing and slow heartbeat.

"Mom," Emma says as she and Embry enter. "She wants to see you."

Embry kisses Nova before she walks into the room. A very week Cheryl looks at her.

"Nova," she whispers.

"Hey," Novalee coos as she sits on the bed.

"Take care of those two," Cheryl says. "Emma's yours now."

Those were her last words. And as Cheryl takes her final breath, Sam howls in desperation and Paul calls Embry, saying Harry Clearwater pasee away from a hear attack. Novalee closes her eyes, wishing she could cry. Emma walks in and she hugs her.
~~~

Novalee sits on her couch, staring at the fireplace. Bella had jumped off a cliff too. Today's just a master bad day for her. Emma's sitting with her, she's staying by her mom's side. They have funerals to attend. Harry's, and Cheryl's.

The sound of keys jinglimg alert Novalee, she sits up straighter as she hurriedly puts Emma behind her. Rosalie walks in.

"Rosalie!" Novalee cries as she flashes into her arms, Rosalie's back collides with Emmett, who laughs. "Oh, my god. You're back! God," Novalee growls. "I want to cry so bad!"

"Mom, easy, you're going to crush her," Emma comments.

"In!" Novalee gasps as she pulls away. "Rose, Emmett, this is Emma. She's in your old room Emmett. You have to move into Rosalie's."

"I can do that," Emmett replies. "Hey, Emma."

"Novalee, where's the cure?" Rosalie asks. "I want to see them."

"Emma, do you like sports?" Emmett asks as Nova leads her best friend upstairs.

Novalee goes to her booknshelf and she grabs both the safe, and the code from the book. Both vampires sit on the bed and Nova gets into the safe, revealing two punches of what looks like blood. Rosalie picks one up amd smells it. 

"Oh, that smells define," Rosalie muses. "We Can Take them when everyone gets back, yeah?"

Nova puts the safe up once the cure Rosalie picked up is secure and she hugs Rosalie again. There's a throat being cleared and the feeling of pride. Novalee looks over and she spots Jasper. Novalee smiles amd she walks over, hugging him just as tightly.

"Alice saw Bella jumping off that cliff," Rosalie says. "I thought she was trying to kill her self, so that's what I told Edward."

"She was cliff diving," Novalee says. "I've done it with the pack several times after I got with Embry."

"I know that now," Rosalie replies. "Alice and Bella are on their way to Volterra now to save Edward. He wants to die too."

"Poor Edward," Novalee says. "They better hurry. But i have to go. I have nurse training tonight."

Nova passed every one and finds Emmett playing sporty video games with Emma in the second floor living room.

"Going to the hospital?" Emma asks. "You need to stay home. You've had one of the worst days."

"I'll be fine, Emma," Novalee says. "Emmett, keep her safe."

He nods as Esme walks in.

"Hey," Esme hugs Nova. "Tell Carlisle to call me when you get to the hospital. He's getting his job back."

"Will do," Novalee replies and she heads toward the hospital in her car,