Chapter 3

Carlisle watches Novalee as she studies the woods, they're at the treaty line, waiting for Sam Uley and Jared Cameron to show up. Sam is the alpha of the wolf pack and Jared is his beta. When a solid black wolf amd a brown one show up, there is a man in a baseball cap with them, he's holding a scroll. 

The solid black wolf walks away and walks back out, he's wearing cut off shorts, with no shirt. His tribal tattoo is showing on his bicep.

"Sam," Carlisle says in greeting.

"Carlisle," the man grins in return, his voice kind of deep, and he turns to the new vampire. "Hello. I'm Sam Uley."

"Novalee Cullen," Novalee says. "I... I'm still getting used to the Cullen part."

Sam offers her a smile. "Of course... This is Harry Clearwater. He grants you, and you only Novalee, to cross the treaty this once so that he can discuss the terms of the treaty with you."

Novalee is hesitant as she glances at Harry, he smiles warmly at the newbie and nods, ignoring her red eyes. The vampire bites her lip and she slowly walks over, the brown wolf watches her curiously. Jared Cameron smiles, making his wolf look adorable... Ish.

"The treaty was formed in the year 1936," Harry begins. "The Cullens were here. Carlisle, Esme, Emmett, Edward, and Rosalie. Just those at the time. They came across three shifts; Ephraim Black, Levi Uley, amd Quill Ateara II while they were hunting." Harry pauses. "The Cullens had claimed they did not feed on human blood. So Carlisle offered up a treaty between the pack amd the coven."

"Ephraim believed Carlisle, the wolves were outnumbered," Harry continues as he unrolls the scroll. "Ephraim insisted on two main points for this treaty; for the Cullens not to harm / injure humans, no feeding on them or turning them. And the other was for them not to set foot in their land, La Push. It went both ways. Ephraim agreed and the two worked out the boundary lines. The truce areas are the highways. Highway 101. Now..." Harry hands the vampire a pen, he doesn't feel uneasy around her as he does the others, he has a feeling this vampire will change everything in this scroll. "Will you agree to follow the treaty? Obey the rules that were agreed upon through Ephraim and Carlisle?"

"I agree," Novalee replies.

Harry points to where the female vampire needs to sign. Jared tilts his wolf head to the side as he watches her curiously. The beta of the pack has that same feeling as Harry, that Novalee will be the thing that changes everything between the wolves and the vampires.

"Thank you, Novalee Cullen, amd welcome to your coven," Harry says, shaking her hand. "Now, don't let our boys catch you on this side without permission."

"Thank you, sir," Novalee says quickly amd she vamp speeds to the Cullen side. "Thank you, Sam, for setting this meeting."

Sam nods, "it was mandatory."

"So what?" Novalee shrugs. "Still, Thank you."

"You're welcome," Sam says before he phases and he trots away.

Novalee amd Carlisle share a look before he helps her hunt some more. The kids have started school today. Alice had seen Edward's blood-Singer, Bella Swan, starting school that day. So, it'll be a hard day for him.

Novalee enters the house that evening and finds everyone there. Everyone but Edward. Then she remembers Alice explaining her visit, and is sure Edward took off to maintain control so he won't hurt the human.

"Once your eyes are a more golden color, you can start school," Carlisle says to the nineteen year old, Novalee was nineteen when Laurent turned her in Italy. "Is that okay with you?"

Novalee nods, agreeing to this. She sighs as she sits at the piano, she and Carlisle are in the foyer as Esme goes with Alice to hunt. Novalee plays a classical piece, closing her eyes as she gets into it.

Before going to Volterra, Novalee had lived in Florence. That is where she took a load of piano lessons. She left Athens at fifteen, and moved to Florence, Italy where the learned the piano and how to cook pasta properly, and learned some more wonder Italian cuisines. 

"Stop with the sad feelings," Jasper scolds as he walks down.

The music stops abruptly as Novalee looks up. "And you stop yours."

Jasper rolls his eyes, he doesn't like having another empath around but their shared gift is what makes the two closer than the the others. Jasper offers Novalee a smile before he gets up from the piano bench, and he goes upstairs - leaving her alone.
~~~