Chapter 12

John and Steve were the only two people who Sindhu was still in contact with from Bangalore. Sindhu thought back to how they met and let out a laugh. It was 6 months after she started living in Bangalore. She was in a club with her friends. It was her first time trying alcohol.

She took her first shot and cringed heavily and looked disgusted at the drink. Right then she heard a clicking sound of a camera. When she turned around, she saw John with a phone on his hand pointed towards her. She quickly snatched the phone and glared at him.

"Aren't you too old to be taking perverted pictures??", Sindhu asked annoyed. She couldn't view the pictures since it was locked with a password.

"Young lady I am wrongfully accused. I am no pervert and definitely not old.", John said. Then he quickly unlocked his phone and showed Sindhu the selfie he took of himself. He seemed proud of himself.

Sindhu rolled her eyes at his childishness and said, "Okay, maybe you are not a pervert but you are definitely old." Sindhu pointed at the grey hairs and smiled triumphantly.

John pouted and sat beside her. "That your first drink.", John asked.

"Yes," Sindhu replied.

"Liked it??", John asked again.

"Not exactly.", Sindhu replied and cringed remembering the taste.

"Good for you.", John said and gave her a smile.

Something just clicked and they started talking. Between talking and John drinking, time flew by. And after two hours, Sindhu was left to haul John's drunken ass back to her house. She signed in relief seeing as none of her housemates are back home.

Next morning, Adam came knocking on her doors and rest was history. She spent more time at John's place than her own after that. That was until her drinking became a problem of course. She and John had this big fight over her drinking but back then she was way past listening to reason, so she pushed him away.

Even after her cruel treatment, John had still kept tabs on her, seeing as he was the one who found her on that ditch and brought her to hospital.

Speaking of John, his full name is Mr. John Moraes. He was one of the most successful businessmen in the country. He lost his wife at a very young age. He never remarried. He even adopted Steve a few years after he lost his wife.

John acted spoilt and reckless. But Sindhu knew it was his way of coping with his sorrows and loneliness.

The first time John saw her paintings- Sindhu did not know whether it was because he liked her or because he liked her paintings- but he bought a few pieces at an exorbitant price. Not only that, John even sold the others at an even higher rate to his friends. Before that, she did not even think about selling her paintings. It was something she did to get away. It was her way of dealing with the stress in her head.

But somehow because of John she became the famous Ms. Anonymous. John not only sold her paintings, he even managed the cash from it and made sure she did not do anything reckless with it. That is the sole reason why she did not go bankrupt in her drunken escapade.

John even arranged this apartment when she said she needed to get away. They argued over her leaving as always and John gave in to her wishes as always.

Sindhu did not know where she might have ended up if not for John. He was like a cool second father to her. Her own dad, Srinivasan, he was very quiet and strict on her. He never really argued or raise his voice on her. He never really even scolded her. But whenever she did something that he deemed wrong, he will give this disapproving look, Sindhu would obediently follow his directives. Sindhu loves her dad, so she never wanted to disappoint him. Even then she could never really open up to him.

Sindhu was pretty close to her mum when she was young. But after she grew up, it became very suffocating for her. She was too much of a wild spirit to grow up in a traditional and cultured Tamil family.

John was straight opposite to her own family. He nurtured and supported her wild spirit. He never really opposed anything Sindhu did until she started becoming careless and out of control.

Sindhu fell asleep with all these past memories running over her head. Before she slept, she sent a text to Gautham. She was barely aware of what she was doing. It almost felt like a hazy dream.