Chapter 19

In a blink of an eye, both their parents started preparations for the marriage. The list of rituals was endless. Sindhu barely had any time to comprehend what was actually happening around her. Both the parents rushed into everything so fast as if they were scared she would suddenly change her decision or something. It felt as if both had everything already ready and were only waiting for her to nod. There were about three months before she became a married woman.

Sindhu did not even get time to think anything. Not that she was having second thoughts. She will think... She will think hard before taking a decision but once she decided she never thinks about it again but all the shopping's, poojas and all sorts of people calling her up to congratulate her- she felt exhausted.

On the other hand, Gautham was ecstatic. He won't stop grinning no matter what anyone said. He even took the incessant teasing from his parents and cousins head on without flinching. The only downside for him was Sindhu and Gautham did not get any chance to meet up- just the two of them. They did meet up but whenever they did, it was always in the presence of both their parents or with some friends. He wanted to talk to her, but every night by the time they are done with all the office and the endless list of works from their own respective families, Sindhu was almost always too exhausted to keep her eyes open let alone talk. So half the time when Gautham called she never really picked it up or even returned his calls in the morning. Gautham figured it was probably one of Sindhu's bad habits, as he heard Steve complain about it once. Steve was still living out of Sindhu's apartment, so even when they snuck out to hang there, they had company. But out of the blue when Sindhu would actually pick the call, she always dozed off two minutes into the call. So all Gautham could ever do was listen to her incoherent ranting on her sleep with a creepy grin.

But right when he was getting all frustrated over it, Sindhu said they had to make a trip to Bangalore. Something about an old jerk acting all childish and throwing tantrum. At last, given a chance to spend some alone time with Sindhu, Gautham jumped at the opportunity without even knowing the details. Steve almost ruined the whole plan by insisting on tagging along. But Gautham smartly sacrificed Ananya- one of his cousins and successfully bribed the brat into staying behind in Chennai.

Sindhu wanted to ride the bike to Bangalore. She had the same level of excitement when she first saw his bike. But Gautham remembered how she rode and the expression on her face when she rode it. So he vehemently refused. But Sidhu persisted. Gautham finally relented with one condition that he will be the one driving the bike the whole way.

Gautham almost always agreed with Sindhu. He even got a nickname "Wife's slave" from all his cousins. Gautham did not even bother about refuting because he had a feeling that he is going to become one in the near future even if he was not already one. And he felt no shame in admitting this to himself or others. In fact, he felt quite proud of himself whenever he saw Sindhu looked at him with that shining eye every time he agreed to something she suggests.

But Sindhu never took it for granted. Nor was she ever unreasonable in her requests. She was actually quite flexible unless and until she felt strongly about something and she can't let go. She always asked for his opinion before making any decision.

But more than Gautham, his mother was more ecstatic over Sindhu. It was so funny to watch how Gautham got scolded from his mum over something he did not do all because Sindhu would fake a pitiful face every now and then as if Gautham was bullying her. All Gautham could do is glare at Sindhu for her childishness.

Gautham knew Renuka saw right through Sindhu but still played along with her. And it warmed his heart seeing his mum treat Sindhu like her own. And Gautham's dad Govind did not fall behind. He pampered Sindhu equally. All in all, the whole family cannot wait to bring her home.

It was early morning. The climate was quite chilly. Gautham was driving towards Sindhu's place to pick her up. They planned things so that they would reach Bangalore for lunch. But to his surprise when Gautham reach Sindhu's place, she was already outside with her luggage loaded on her car.

"I thought we were taking my bike??" Gautham asked Sindhu confused.

"I got vetoed by my dad," Sindhu replied sulkily puffing her cheeks. Gautham let out a chuckle and pulled on her cheeks adoringly.

"Okay come on. Let's go. I will drive." Gautham said parking his bike in Sindhu's place.

Two hours into the ride, Gautham noticed that Sindhu kept on rubbing her eyes from time to time in order to keep herself awake. Gautham reached out and ran his hands through her hairs and rested his palms on her cheeks and said in a soft voice, "Hey, get some sleep. I will be fine."

Sindhu nuzzled into his hands but shook her head stubbornly. But before she could say anything, Sindhu let out a loud yawn.

"Come on put your seat down and get some sleep." Gautham urged her further and Sindhu finally relented and dozed off.

When she woke up, they were outside a restaurant.

"Hey, sleepy head. You are up??" Gautham said when he saw Sindhu open her eyes. He reached out and tidied her tousled hair. Sindhu was still groggy. She rubbed her eyes and looked around confused. Her throats were dry.

"Where are we??" Sindhu asked at last. Her voice was still hoarse.

"I thought we could stop for some breakfast," Gautham replied and simultaneously he took out a bottle of water, opened it and gave it Sindhu. Sindhu gulped at the water greedily.

"hey hey, easy there. Drink it slowly.." Gautham said while reaching out for the bottle. He took it from and fed it to her one gulp at a time. Sindhu was not fully awake yet. Her eyes were still droopy. But she got down from the car stretched her arms and let out a deep yawn.

Gautham got down and closely followed Sindhu as if he was afraid she will drop back to sleep right there while walking. And to warrant his paranoia, Sindhu was also staggering on her feet's. After a while, Gautham put his arms over her shoulders and guided her towards to restaurant. And Sindhu simply leaned on his shoulders and shut eyes.

Gautham was reminded of a cat when he saw Sindhu like this... spoilt, pampered and lazy. He simply rubbed her head with a wide grin.

The restaurant was not crowded as it was still pretty early in the morning. After telling her order Sindhu leaned on Gautham's shoulders and closed her eyes once again.

Sindhu finally woke up when their orders were delivered. They both had their food.

Once they were done, Gautham stayed behind to pay the bill while Sindhu hopped outside with a wide grin plastered on her face.

When Gautham finally came out of the restaurant, Sindhu was nowhere to be found. Gautham searched around for a bit and finally found her in the small park beside the restaurant. And there she was playing the swing meant for kids and ecstatic laughter playing on her face.

"It's for kids Sindhu, " Gautham said exasperated while approaching her.

"Come on get down before you break something, " Gautham said extending his hands for her to take.

Sindhu pouted but still took his hands and got down from the swing.

The drive after was lively. Sindhu put on load music and sat up on her seat with her legs rested on the dashboard. She even sang along every now and then.

When they stopped for a snack, Sindhu insisted on driving and Gautham let her be on the promise that she would not drive like maniac.

Sindhu sulked saying, "Its the highway Gautham. Where else are you going to be able to drive like a maniac???" Even though she said that she drove within a reasonable speed limit to Gautham's relief.