A Christmas Carol

Warning: a bit of dysphoria

"You've got this, Princey," I mumbled under my breath as I typed the words in a text to my boyfriend. He was currently backstage freaking out. I wasn't exactly sure why since, based on what I'd been told, he'd been acting since kindergarten. But, according to Remus, he was always like this before an opening night performance.

Ro🌟: Nope!!!! I Do Not Have This!!!!

Virge😈: Relax Roman

Virge😈: Breathe

Virge😈: You've got this

Virge😈: I have all the faith in the world that you will not fail at this

Ro🌟: Why Couldnt You Send That All In One Text????

Virge😈: Spamming you will keep your negative thoughts from being the first thing you see when you open the message window

Virge😈: I learned that from Pat

Ro🌟: Thank You My Chemically Imbalanced Romance!!!! Are We Still Going To Dinner After My Performance????

Virge😈: Hell yeah I'm starving

I shoved my mobile in my pocket and walked into the auditorium, taking my seat in the front row with Logan, Patton, Remus, and De.

"How's he doing?" Patton bit his lip nervously.

"In his words 'bitterly jittery and not quite glittery.' I think I was able to calm him down a bit though. Told him he'd do perfect."

"Why would you convey a falsehood to him?"

"It wasn't a lie, Logan. The hell man?"

"You have no way of knowing that his performance will be perfect. He could make a mistake."

"Even if he makes a mistake the fact that he tried his best will make it perfect." Patton said, matter-of-factly.

"I'm just saying —"

"Logan? Shut your ever-flapping gobtalker."

The younger teen shut his mouth and blushed slightly. Patton smirked proudly and gave him a tight hug. Their friendship is so much weirder than De and Remus' relationship.

The lights dimmed and the curtains rose. We all fell silent and watched as the play began. Play was probably the wrong word for this performance. The drama club had decided to do the musical. I am not a fan of musicals. I had to admit that Roman's singing voice was mesmerizing though.

"WHAT MUST I DO TO BE LEFT HERE IN PEACE? WHY WON'T THEY LEAVE ME ALONE?
HOW MUCH GOOD CHEER CAN ONE MAN ENDURE? LEAVE ME ALONE!
I WANT NO PART OF THEIR MISERABLE LIVES. I JUST WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE.
LEAVE ME ALONE
TO TEND TO MYSELF,
TO CARE FOR WHAT MATTERS TO ME, TO MIND MY OWN BUSINESS
AND FORGET ALL THE REST.
LEAVE ME ALONE!
INCESSANT CHATTER FOULING THE AIR,
WHY WON'T THEY LEAVE ME ALONE? CONSTANT DISTRACTIONS LEADING NOWHERE. LEAVE ME ALONE!
LEAVE ME ALONE, YOU CHILDREN WHO RUN,
YOU WRETCHED OLD HAGS AND INSOLENT YOUNG, YOU GENTRY AND PAUPERS,
YOU STRUMPETS AND WHORES.
YOU CLUTTER THE STREETS AS YOU PASS BY MY DOOR."

It was kind of funny to hear the usually cheery and friendly teen being crotchety and mean. But, had I not known him as well as I did. Had this performance been my first time meeting him I would have thought that this was how he really was. His performance was so natural.

***

We stood outside the school and waited for Roman at the end of the performance. Patton tackled hugged the taller teen when he finally exited the building and I couldn't help but laugh.