Chapter 6

The Detective called the house and let Amy know that they had arrested six people who's DNA matched the samples from Cora. There were at least five more but he was having a harder time tracking those people as it appeared they hadn't been arrested before.

Amy asked about Blake and his brother and if they were among those he arrested. No there was no evidence linking them at least they didn't have anything directly and with Cora unwilling to testify it made things more difficult and the high priced lawyer that the brothers had hired had really put a crimp in any progress that the police had made.

She got in her car with her groceries, someone tapped on her window, she cracked it. "Hey bitch you and your friend called the cops, that was dumb." Amy started the engine and rolled up the window. "I ain't done talking to you bitch," the man said as he slammed her windshield with an aluminum ball bat. Amy threw the Car in reverse and backed out of the parking space clipping her attacker. He didn't seem phased as he got up and the bat came down on the roof. Amy threw the car in drive and Smashed the pedal to the floor. The tires squealed on the pavement as a Truck pulled out in front of her. She could barely see through the broken glass she slammed on the breaks and two men jumped out of the truck each with a weapon. She flipped her phone open and dialed 911. As the men approached. She threw the car back into reverse and the tires spun as the man behind her came running up with his bat in hand. "911 what is your emergency"

"I'm at the grocery store and I'm being attacked, in my car Please help?"

"Are you okay?"

"No I'm not okay I'm going to run one of these fuckers over" she yelled at the phone.

"Ma'am you need to call down" Amy's foot was on the floor as she slammed into the man with the ball bat. She didn't stop she kept going and spun the wheel into one of the aisles she slipped the shifter into drive and mashed the pedal again and slid into a turn out of the parking lot.

"Ma'am are you still there"

"I'm trying to get away!" Amy yelled.

The Truck came roaring up behind her "Ma'am where are you"

"Going south on main" She yelled as the truck slammed into the back of her car. The heavy brush guard in front bending the metal of her prius "Oh god I don't want to die!" She screamed as she pushed the car faster through a red light she zipped through the traffic. Her hand pressed firmly on the horn. She watched in horror as a cross-traffic semi obliterated the truck behind her. She pulled into a gas station and stopped. She could hear police sirens.

"Ma'am are you still there?" the operator asked.

"Yeah, the truck got hit by a truck I'm okay I guess" Her car sputtered and died.

An officer stepped out of the patrol car that she parked behind Amy. "Ma'am" she said quietly as other officers proceeded to control the scene.

"Yes?"

"Hi, I'm Officer Linwood, are you okay?"

"I, I don't know I think so," Amy said she could still feel the blood pounding in her ears and it was getting hard to breathe.

"Can I call the medics over to check you out?"

"Yes, I guess so?"

"Can you tell me what happened?"

"I had just finished shopping and someone tapped on my window, I rolled it down so I could hear. And then he said I shouldn't have gone to the cops or something and smashed my windshield, with a bat. I tried to get away and the truck blocked my escape. So I ran the other way.