Chapter 17

When Amy pulled up to the front of the House she shivered, she wasn't sure if it was nervousness or if there was something. She had always felt safe with James she hurried up the walk and stood in the entry and rang the bell. A car pulled up just on the other side of the street. She rang the bell again the nervousness mounting and her pulse started pounding in her ears "Jame's" she whispered in a little prayer," Hurry up I think I am in trouble."

The door opened and she rushed in. "Not what I was expecting"

"I think, I think there are some men who followed me here they might try to hurt me"

"I find it very unlikely that they would hurt you while your here," James said softly.

He glanced at her wardrobe, sneakers and blue jeans and a grey blouse. He nodded, okay let's see what we can see shall we, wait in the kitchen. He walked to another room and watched as two men stepped away from a car parked across the street. They were carrying handguns and were moving in a crouched position that looked ridiculous to James.

He walked back to Amy who had poured herself a dose of whiskey. "I think perhaps today we should go riding."

"What?"

"Come now finish your drink" Amy gulped the two fingers down and coughed. He took her by the arm and led her past the Kennel to a larger barn. He led her inside and opened a stall where a small Arabian looked up at them. "This is Goldie"

"I've never"

"Ridden a horse before?" He pulled a bridle from the wall and put it on the enormous animal. "Goldie is ten, she is a little old, and she's mostly gentle."

"Mostly gentle?"

"Say hi to her let her know who you are"

"Are you serious?"

"Under normal circumstances, I'd make sure you have a saddle but considering..."

"I can't believe that you're actually serious about this what about the men?"

"The best way to get you out of trouble is to put some distance between you and them"

"But on a horse?"

"Flat out Goldie can hit thirty miles an hour. And there is no way they are going to drive on this property, You trust me don't you Amy?"

Amy looked nonplussed, "You can't be serious?" as the horse bumped her lightly in the chest. He took the reins and led Goldie out toward a back door. He helped Amy onto the back of the mare and opened the door.

"Don't come back till I come and get you" his voice rasped softly on her ears. "Hold on to the mane here, hold the reins, and hold on to her with your legs. Lay against her neck, she'll keep you safe."

"You're sure?" her lip pinching between her teeth.

"Yes," he said softly, "Yaah!" his hand slapped the backside of the horse and Goldie leaped into motion, Amy laid against her neck as instructed and she screamed as the ground flashed under the heavy falls of the horse running flat out. She was terrified. She heard shots. She hoped against hope that James would be okay. That those shots would pass harmlessly past her. She prayed that she would stay on that she would be okay that everything would work out.

Trees and brush whipped past, Goldie ate ground like they weren't making it anymore. She bounced and she remembered that she was supposed to hold on with her legs. It made things better. When she gripped the horse with her thighs. Goldie didn't stop and Amy dared not look back. She gasped as her knuckles turned white around the reins and horsehair.