Chapter 30

There was a note on the door when Amy arrived at Jame's house.

"Outback"

Amy tried the door and found it unlocked and walked through the house. She found James on the back porch wielding a heavy cleaver. He didn't look up as he lopped off the head of some small creature that he was butchering. "What are you doing?"

"Making supper"

"What is that?" she asked looking at the small animal before he quickly cut it into pieces tossing them into a large pot. He then began with another skinned animal.

"Rabbits" James grinned. "Tasty, and Bill was helpful enough to bring them to me"

"Bill?"

"You met him the other day, he leads me right to where you were waiting"

"Bill is the dog?"

"Yup"

"He caught the rabbits?"

"He likes chasing them, he's not so sure what to do with them once he has caught them, but I know," James said methodically quartering the small animal.

"And you're going to eat that?"

"What's wrong with it? People have been eating it for years, centuries even"

"But it's a bunny"

"Was a bunny, and now its supper." He tossed the remaining meat into a pot and then turned the cutting board over before he started rough cutting Onions and Celery and Carrots. He minced some Garlic and Shallots and then he pulled spices from planters situated around the porch. He carried everything inside and Amy followed not sure if she should be horrified or just disgusted by what this man was doing.

Once in the kitchen he took some butter and added vegetables and some spices. He leaned against the counter "well?"

"Well, what?"

"Your pages?"

"I um, forgot"

"I see... not taking this very seriously are you"

"It's not that James, It's, well it's more than that."

"What do you mean?"

"It's hard to say, well no it's easy to say it's hard for me to say"

"Why?"

"Because it's awkward and well I'm just scared"

"Interesting, does that mean you'll be dining with me this evening then?" he asked as he popped the cork on a bottle of red wine.

He poured a glass for himself and then one for Amy. He set them down on the counter as the rue started to bubble.

"What are we having again?"

"Hasenpfeffer."

"I don't even know what that is"

"Never watched bugs bunny?" He cracked a smile and the dimple on his cheek made Amy want to kiss him.

"I'm afraid that particular cartoon was before..."

"Yes I suppose that happens, Mel Blanc was a genius but then that era was amazing"

"What era?"

"The 1940's up to the 1970's with Warner Brothers cartoons, had everything a growing boy needed sexism racism and violence lots and lots of violence."

"But your not violent"

"I'm not?" he looked into her eyes from across the room."I wouldn't be too sure of that statement."