The Fire That Broke Out

America speed walked from the classroom, he was desperate for fresh air. He ignored those who called his name, for now, he had to do this - that feeling he got at the start of class? That was something... Different.

America then remembered the box in his pocket, the one he was supposed to give to Germany. He looked up, he could find Germany while he was outside.

America slowed down as he stepped through two wide open double doors, taking a deep breath in, and feeling a hundred times better already. Though there was a pain in his stomach brewing, he did his best to ignore it and wander towards the science wing. He promised Poland that he'd deliver the box, and he would keep that promise.

America noticed that there was a sudden lack of other countries, barely half of what there used to be. He wondered why, but thought everyone would probably be someplace else.

America pushed his glasses up, he turned around and started his way to the science wing. Germany would be there, if anything, Germany would get there early - he was never late. Or just on time, for that matter.

"Did you hear?" America heard a group of girls from beside him, chatting among themselves, "You know about the science wing, right? And the new kid?"

"Oh my god, yeah," One of the other ones replied, "Do you think anyone will actually try getting him?"

"I doubt it," One scoffed, "He's a rude piece of shit. I don't think anyone actually likes him."

America's eyes furrowed, he didn't know what they were talking about, but was intrigued, nonetheless. He began to walk faster, worried about what could be happening.

That was when he saw it.

The whole science wing was on fire, the missing people in the school standing outside of the building, watching it burn. America's breath hitched, his first reaction to see how the fire started.

He darted into the crowd and found Germany, his first instinct to give the box to him. America made his way beside Germany, his eyes still glues to the building, and handed him the box.

"Oh, America," Germany looked up at him, "A box? Is this from Polen?"

"Yeah, it is," America murmured as he retracted his hands, "How long has the fire been going?"

"Ten minutes," Germany replied as he looked down to the box, "We don't know where the fire crew are, but we think they'll be here soon."

"Cool..." America nodded. He pointed down at the box, tapping its lid. "Poland was really cautious about giving this to me, it must be important."

Germany smirked as he opened it, a small whittled deer inside. His heart melted as he held the box to his chest, he thanked America for giving it to him.

"I'm gonna see if I can help out in any way," America said, determined, "There could be someone in there."

"America, I don't think that's a good idea-"

America suddenly ran off, towards two he knew well; he saw Philippines standing beside his brother, Martial Law, they seemed to be shocked at the fire.

"Phil," America tapped him on the shoulder, the smaller country looked up, "Do you know how this happened?"

"Not sure," He responded, shrugging, "But I know that the new kid is in there."

"What?" America's heart sank into his stomach, "What's their name?"

"I'm pretty sure the teachers are saying something like Russia," Phil turned away, looking back to the building, "I wouldn't go in there if I were you."

"Well, someone's gotta help him!" America stressed, "If I don't, I doubt someone else will!"

"No, America!" Phil exclaimed, using America actual name over his nickname, "It's way too dangerous!"

"Too bad!" America growled as he pushed past the crowd, breaking into the science wing. He heard cries behind him, but someone had to help. And that would be America.

America covered his mouth as he found his way through the fire, squinting; the fire was bright, and it didn't help that it engulfed the walls around him. He looked into each room along the hallway, he felt heavy; tired. Each room was empty, until he came to room G22.

Russia stood there, in the middle of the room, flames eating at him. It seemed like Russia was used to this, he had a blank expression, which scared America.

"Come on!" He shouted, Russia's attention turned to America, "We gotta get outta here!"

"I don't think so," Russia hesitated, his hands suddenly on America's shoulders; he pulled America backwards into the room, pushing him to the ground that was, obviously, engulfed in flames.

"What gives?" America screamed as he tried to stand, tried to push Russia's arms away, "We need to go!"

"You need to go," Russia said in a monotone voice, "This is all apart of the experiment, don't worry."

"What-" America chocked out as Russia let go, a beam of wood fell onto America. He screamed in pain, trying his hardest to push the beam off. Russia just stood there, watching America struggle. America held his arm for Russia to take, but he didn't budge - at this point America gave up. He slumped down, the smell of smoke, the sound of burning and the sight of glowing orange infected everything he knew.

This was how he was going to die. Nobody would help him. Nobody would come. Even though he was well liked, nobody would miss him. No one would care.

"Please..." America muttered with the last of breath he could muster. Russia soon disappeared in the flame behind him, America laid there. Hopeless.

Flames ate at his skin.

Smoke clogged in his lungs.

The beam on top of him crushed his back.

He closed his eyes..

...only to open them right after, a dark concrete room trapped him.

What exactly was happening?