Crushed

America inhaled suddenly, he patted his chest - his heart was beating, he took a deep breath in. He looked around the place - he was in a small log cabin. He laid down on a sofa. A fire crackled in the distance, it warmed him slightly. He looked up to the window, it snowed outside.

Then he looked to the door. He stood up, about to open it, when that urge to stay away from it came back. And he couldn't ignore it. He blinked quickly, trying to focus on what happened before, before he tried escaping this place. The man. The man! He.. was he here?

"Hello?" America called desperately, "Is anyone here? Am I still the only one?"

There was an extremely muffled voice from the other side of the house. America's heart lifted as he got all jumpy, like his old self, and followed the noise. He stopped outside of a what seemed to be locked door, knocking it several times.

"It is locked, dumbass," The other said, "Why do you think I can open it?"

"S-sorry," America stuttered, sliding down the door, the widest grin he could remember having across his face, "So was that you? Like, before we were in this place? How long has it been since then?"

"So many questions..." They huffed, "Let us start with yes, that was me back then. That was two hours ago. You have been asleep since then."

"Alright.." America began to process what had happened, "So in my.. first three lives, were you... There?"

"Ha!" They exclaimed, "I wish. You see, this is all an experiment. It has gone wrong. It still is. You were not meant to die, oh no. I only wanted to project thoughts of some of the places I have been to you. Something has gone wrong, yes, and I only began to notice that something was wrong when you kept screaming and shouting in your sleep. Your body killed itself in different ways suddenly, we had to keep you alive. 

"Then, I decided to try and see what the problem was. I entered myself into the projection, and it looks like you are dying again and again and again. Unfortunately, I cannot get myself out, much less you. This projection should last eight hours outside of your mind, but one day inside. Otherwise, I am truly sorry for what I did-"

"Who are you?" America demanded. There was silence from the other side. "You're Russia, aren't you? And.. and your dad is the Soviet Union? And because of things that happened back then... I was targeted. Right? Right?"

"...Wow.." They finally managed to chuckle, "You really do know why you were the one. And I'm sorry, again, I wasn't the one who wanted to send you in here. I am apart of this experiment too, so I guess... I guess Papa wanted it to be you."

"..You are Russia," America breathed, "What... Places you've been? I started in a concrete room, then I was in a wood one without an exit. Were.. you experimented on too?"

"I do not want to talk about it," Russia almost interrupted America. America nodded, the poor Russian was probably traumatised.

"Have you noticed that I haven't died yet?" America asked out of the blue, "Like, I'd be dead by now, normally.."

"Well, I guess it's any second now," Russia responded. Right as he finished, the place began to shake. Russia stayed silent as America tried to grab hold of something, earthquakes were never a good sign. He would probably be crushed by the ceiling-

-and that's what happened.