Chapter 4

Roanstar was perched upon the rock, watching the hunting patrol come back with fresh-kill. Earlier, he had sent Fieldclaw and Lemonpaw. Whenever the tortoiseshell was around the Medicine cat, he had a weird feeling and his skin under his fur always warmed up. But the leader would shrug it off like some pesky bug.

Moonpaw leaped up, carrying a rabbit in her jaws. She set it down. "This is for you. Caught it myself" She said. "Thank you. Great catch, I'm very proud" Roanstar nodded approvingly. Pride seemed to well in the apprentices chest, and the she-cat turned. "Wait, Moonpaw" The leader stopped her. Moonpaw flicked an ear and turned back to him. "How about you share this with me"? Roanstar smiled. Moonpaw tilted her head slightly. "Really"? Roanstar beckoned her with his tail. Happily, the apprentice layed beside him and took a bite of the rabbit as she purred.

LATER THAT DAY....

By now, the Medicine cat was back with plenty of catmint. Some of the cats were getting better. The only one that didn't show any signs of getting better was Thrushbeam. The tortoiseshell flicked his tail and looked at his clan. "EaglePaw, StonePaw and StickPaw"! He called. The three new apprentices hurried up to him. "You will be attending the gathering" Roanstar said. "And so are your mentors" They nodded and got their mentors. "Feildclaw and Lemonpaw will also be joining" The medicine cat and his apprentice stepped out of the medicine den. "BlueJaw, you will also be joining us" He said. The blue gray tom padded up and nodded. Bluejaw, Eaglepaw and Pebblefur all carried Fallstar's limp body out if of camp and the rest followed.

When they got to the river, Waterfallclan and Iceclan were already there. Roanstar padded up to where Icestar and Rainstar were. By the lookson their faces, he could tell the other leaders already knew about the sudden and tragic death of Fallstar. Pebblefur went up to the other deputy's and talked with them. The rest all carried in the body and layed it gently in the middle of the meeting place.

Rainstar, leader of Waterfallclan, spoke up. "Attention, everyone" The white and gray tabby spoke. "We will start early, as we are burying one of our most precious friends" The deputy from each of the three clans dug a hole and gently dragged Fallstar into it. "Fallstar was kind and understanding leader. She was the first leader of Fallclan" Icestar meowed sadly.

Roanstar dipped his head. "Indeed she was" He said. Everybody pushed the dirt over her body, until they no longer saw her. "We shall continue on with the Gathering. Roanstar, you first" Breezespot, the young deputy of Iceclan said. He was looking sympathetically at the new Fallcpan leader. "Well, besides that, we have new warriors. Stickpaw, Eaglepaw, and Stonepaw" Everybody chanted the new apprentices names. "Pebblefur is my Deputy. Most of the cats are recovering from Greencough and prey is plentiful" Roanstar spoke gently. He flicked an ear at Icestar.

The white she-cat nodded. "Iceclan has welcomed a new kit to the clan, Pinekit. And....prey is also running well" Icestar said. Rainstar was the last to speak. "I have made Riverstep my deputy. Prey is fine" She said with a slow blink.

"Then I guess the gathering is over" Roanstar said. "Wait! Icestar, you forgot something" Breezespot, the Iceclan deputy yowled. "Oh, right" Icestar flicked her tail and dug her claws into the stone below her. "Those rotten flea-bagged Bloodclan cats have returned"! The white-she cat exclaimed. Many cries of shock and gasps were heard among the clans. "Wait...they are"? Riverstep asked.

Breezespot lashed his tail furiously. "Those rogues must have bees in their brains"! He snapped. "Coming back after that fight with Lionclan". Roanstar looked down at his sisters son. He sometimes wondered whyhis other nepehew had joined another clan. But he understood now. Breezespot was perfect for Iceclan. Furious and always angry or shooting a nasty comment at someone. Roanstar felt a stab of grief at the thought of his sister, who was killed by a fox.

Rainstar nudged his shoulder with her muzzle. "You alright"? She asked softly. "Oh, yeah. I'm fine" Roanstar curled his tail neatly around his front paws. Icestar growled. "Those rotten furred mouse-dungs should be dead" Her green eyes narrowed. Roanstar wasn't born yet when Blooclan attacked Lionclan. But he had heard a lot about it.

"I'm sure they'll leave soon enough. If they know what's good for them..." Rainstar hissed slightly. Most cats seemed to agree. The leaders leapt down from the rock and all headed seperate ways. "I hope those rogues leave soon. I hope Rainstar is right" Roanstar thought as his clan followed him back to camp.