Chapter 24

"Hey, Roanstar"? The leader
blinked and turned his head to see Ashpool. It had been a couple sunrises since she'd been made a Warrior along with her brother and sister. "Yes Ashpool"? Roanstar answered. "I just have some clan concerns. The Bloodclan rogues haven't done any harm to us in a while, and I'm sure they are thinking of stirring up trouble again" She meowed softly.

Roanstar dipped his head with acknowledgment. "I understand your concerns, but there is nothing we can do. They do not live on our land, so we do not have to worry about them" He replied. Ashpool flicked her tail irratibly. "What is wrong with you? Your supposed to protect the clan! But your not, all you do is pretend like nothing is wrong! One day, Roanstar, Bloodclan will destroy us. Kill us all, and it will be your fault" She turned and padded away. Roanstar watched her leave through narrowed eyes. Then he felt someone brush against him. "Fieldclaw, what am I supposed to do? Everybody in the clan hates me" He turned to the Medicine cat, who was also his mate.

Fieldclaw let out a sigh and looked at him. "Listen, they are all stressed, ok? We have kits in the clan, and they are worried for their safety. Just do what you think is right" He answered. "Then we have to expect the unexpected" Roanstar jumped onto Highfall and stared down at his clanmates. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath Highfall for a clan meeting"! He yowled. He waited until the clan was up and watching him. "I know many if you are worried about Bloodclan. Ravenstrike and Ashpool have both expressed their concerns. So, we are now posting guards outside of camp. Ravenstrike, Ashpool, you can now guard the camp if you wish" Roanstar spoke.

Ravenstrike stepped up. "But we'll keep switching who guards the camp, right"? He asked. Roanstar dipped his head. "Of course" He answered. He jumped down, feeling the cold snow beneath his paws and shivered. He padded towards the fresh-kill pile. It had gotten lower and lower. "Bubbles, Moonfrost, Stonefall and Maplefoot, could you all go on a hunting patrol"? He asked.

The four nodded and then they padded out of camp. Roanstar turned his head to watch Bumblepaw pad up to him. "What am I supposed to do while Ravenstrike guards the camp? He is my mentor" He asked. "Go get rid of the elders ticks" Roanstar answered. 

"Ugh, great" He watched Bumblepaw pad away to the Medicine cat den to get mouse bile. Roanstar twitched an ear with amusement. He felt pity for the apprentice, because nobody like clearing elders of their ticks. He looked at the sky, wondering if Fallstar was watching.

I'm not as a good a leader as she was. I never will be. Why did she choose me? Why?