Chapter 17

They all sat around the body of their fallen clanmate. Mudfoot has his muzzle pressed to Barkfall's fur, the tabby whimpering with grief. Ravenstrike blinked slowly and tried to understand why someone would do this. Who would do this?

Terror. That was his name. And Ravenstrike was going to kill him someday. He knew it. Anger pierced through his heart and he dug his claws into the ground. "Ravenstrike, you next" Roanstar's voice broke him out of his thoughts. The tom padded up to Barkfall's body.

"He...he was truly a great cat. A great friend. It is a great loss to the clan. Barkfall was a good listener, you know? You tell him about your problems and he listens. And then he gives good advice. He was...good with that kind of thing. I will miss him...so much" Ravenstrike finished, and paused to lap at the dead toms fur. "May you have good hunting, swift running and shelter in Starclan" The the brown and black tom stepped back.

"Mudfoot, your last" Roanstar said. The brown Warrior rose to his paws shakily. "Barkfall was one of the first Warriors to accept me when I came to Fallclan. He was so kind, always like a father to me. He'd defend me from...other cats...who didn't except me" Mudfoot shot and awkward look at Bluejaw, who bent to lick his chest fur with embarrassment and shame.

"Anyways, it wasn't his time. Goodbye, Barkfall" Mudfoot pressed his muzzle one last time to the senior warriors fur, and then watched sadly as Aspentail and Sandpelt carried Barkfall away to bury him.

THE NEXT DAY

Ravenstrike woke up to the sound of an argument. Confused, he got to his paws and padded out of the den. "It's your fault, Roanstar! You knew we were vulnerable to the rogues when you went to the gathering with half the warriors! Barkfall is dead because of you"! It was Eagleheart.

Fieldclaw stepped in. "That is completely mouse-brained, Eagleheart! Where have you lost your senses"? The Medicine cat snapped.

Ravenstrike immediately bounded towards them. "Well, Roanstar could have been plotting with those rogues. I wouldn't be surprised if he is. Starclan knows the way he has been acting lately isn't good" Eagleheart snarled. Ravenstrike growled and stepped between Eagleheart and Fieldclaw. "Enough! That's a bunch of mouse-dung, Eagleheart! You really think our own leader would do that on purpose? And he  isn't plotting with Bloodclan. So hold your tongue and keep your fur on"! The brown and black warrior snapped back.

"Ravenstrike, I appreciate your help but I can handle this. You too, Fieldclaw" Roanstar rumbled. Eagleheart let out a grumble amd padded over to his littermates while Pebblefur shot the young Warrior a glare. "Eagleheart still acts like an apprentice"! The deputy said. "Suppose he'll have to  become an apprentice again if he's acting like one" Pebblefur said loud enough for the orange and white tabby to hear. But Eagleheart just grunted and muttered something to Stonefall and Stickclaw.

Ravenstrike padded away to the nursery and went over to Rollfeather. "Good thing Ashkit, Maplekit and Tigerkit will be apprentices in a moon. Our kits are going to add on to the many this clan has now" Rollfeather said. Ravenstrike nuzzled her as he layed down, twining their tails together. "How many do you think we'll have"? Ravenstrike asked. "I don't know....I guess we'll see" Rollfeather answered.

"Ravenstrike! Ravenstrike"! Ravenkit and Bumblekit raced towards him. Stormkit was just behind them. They all leapted on him and Ravenkit pawed at one of his ears with sheathed paws. Ravenstrike purred affectionately towards his half-siblings.

"Where are the rest of you"? Ravenstrike asked. "Darkkit and Frogkit are with the elders. Lilykit is hanging around the Medicine den" Ravenkit answered with a squeak.

"Well then soon we'll have a Medicine cat apprentice. Besides, Fieldclaw is getting a little old" Rollfeather said. Stormkit let out a squeal as she tumbled off Ravenstrike's back. "You alright"? Ravenstrike asked.

Stormkit rolled onto her belly and looked up at him. "I'm fine" She let out a sigh. "Come on Ravenkit and Bumblekit! Lets go find Darkkit and Frogkit" They raced out of the den, leaving Moonfrost and her three kits as well as Rollfeather and Ravenstrike. Bloodpelt was outside watching her kits.

Ravenstrike licked his mates head. "Do you need me to get you anything"? He asked. "No" Rollfeather answered. "Alright" He got to his paws. "I'll check on you later" Ravenstrike turned and padded out of the den.