Chapter 5

The first thing he heard that morning was a yowl. The tortoiseshell tom leapted to his paws and hurried out of his den. Fieldclaw, along with Lemonpaw, were crouched toward the ground with other cats huddled together near them. Jayleaf gad his tail curled around his kits, Ravenkit and Thunderkit.

With a sorrowful sigh, Lemonpaw got up and looked at Roanstar's brother. "I'm sorry...." She murmered. Jayleaf let out a wail of grief. Roanstar finally saw the cat lying on the ground. Thrushbeam, Jayleaf's mate, was laying on her side, and her eyes were dulll and lifeless. "What happened"?! Roanstar rushed towards them. Fieldclaw looked up at him, his eyes sad. "She never recovered from Greencough" He meowed softly.

Jayleaf pressed his muzzle into Thrushbeam's shoulder. His kits curled up against him, whimpering. Roanstar lay his tail over his brothers pelt and looked at the medicine cats. "Thank you for trying" He nodded at Fieldclaw and Lemonpaw. They both looked horribly ashamed that they couldnt save a fellow clanmate.

LATER THAT DAY...

Roanstar sat upon his rock, looking down at his clan. "Thrushbeam was loyal cat to the clan. Always trying to prove herself worthy. She had two beautiful kits in her life, and Jayleaf was proud to have her as a mate" His eyes landed on his brother. "Unfortunately, she has succumbed to Greencough. May she have good hunting in Starclan. I know she is resting beside Fallstar now" He ended his speech and all the cats whispered their own praises for Thrushbeam.

Roanstar flicked his tail and jumped down. Ravenkit brushed against him. "I wish my mother would have lived longer. I have a little more time left before I'm apprenticed" He said. Roanstar nodded. "I know...." He sighed and Ravenkit scuttled away.