not alone | jay halstead

requested:
8. "i'm not going to leave you. you're never going to have to suffer by yourself again, i promise"
———————
he didn't want to admit it.

he thought he had moved past it, but this case brought back old memories. memories of him deployed when he was a ranger.

he should have told you about the nightmare, but it only happened once when he was taking a nap on the sofa while you were at work so he didn't mention it. he hasn't had them in so long and he didn't want to worry you.

you didn't know anything was wrong until he had a nightmare one night while you two were asleep on the bed.

he started crying in his sleep. you woke with a start and immediately looked over to him, his eyes were squeezed shut and he was whimpering. you gently lay your hand on his shoulder, trying not to scare him.

he jolts away from your touch and rushes to stand up. he's breathing heavy and puts a hand up to his face.

"i'm sorry" he whispers as he takes a few deep breaths and sits on the bed.

"hey you have nothing to be sorry about" you say as you scoot closer to his side and hold his hand in yours.

he brings his other hand over yours, "i should have told you sooner, but i thought i could handle it"

"how many times has it happened?" you ask gently as your other hand cups his cheek.

"only once," he starts. "but it was worse a few years ago, before i met you" he smiles sadly

to lighten the mood, you joke, "well you're stuck with me," he grins. "i'm not going to leave you. you're never going to have to suffer by yourself again, i promise" you continue as he lays down and brings you to his side.

"as long as you're here, i'll be okay" he says as he kisses you on the forehead.

jay felt better now that you knew, like a weight has lifted off his shoulders. he wasn't alone, he knew that now.