misconception | jay halstead

requested:
25. "go on. tell me you don't love me"
a.n: starts with angst but ends with fluff
—————————
you knew something was up with Jay.

the late night phone calls, constantly coming home way later than usual, and distancing himself from you.

lately he's been leaving in a hurry in the mornings, not even having time to write you notes anymore. he was still affectionate, but not like he usually was.

when he got home, you couldn't hold back.

"what the hell has been up with you?" you ask

"i've had a lot of things on my mind lately, about us" he shrugs, trying to act nonchalant

"go on." you pause. "tell me you don't love me. that's why you've been acting strange the past couple of days isn't it? you met someone else" you say as tears start building up in your eyes

"how could you think i don't love you" he says in disbelief, shaking his head and walking closer to you.

"what the hell am i supposed to think when you say you've had a lot on your mind about us and you've been distant from me. those don't sound like good things" you say as you turn away from him and head towards the bedroom, wanting to be alone for a while.

you don't get very far before he takes your hand and spins you towards him.

"when i said i've been thinking about us, i meant it in a good way. been thinking about our future, our hopefully long future together." he says as he cups your cheek with his other hand.

"really?" you give him a small smile

he grins and nods before leaning in to kiss you on the lips, hoping you wouldn't feel the outline of the ring box in the pocket of his jacket.