21 | REMORSE

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

DESPITE DAMON AND SIENNA'S RELUCTANCE TO BELIEVE IT, MEREDITH FELL HAD BEEN RIGHT AFTER ALL. Alaric was the killer, but it was an alter-ego personality responsible for the murders. The Alaric they knew wasn't even aware of any of this; he blacked out when his alter-ego came out to play, and he didn't remember anything that happened during his lost time. This was happening because of the ring he wore, and it had happened before, back in 1912 to an ancestor of Elena's named Samantha. None of them would have believed Meredith if it wasn't for Elena reading an old journal that had belonged to Samantha and piecing together the facts herself. The ring was affecting Alaric's psyche because of how many times it had brought him back to life, and he was losing time when his alter-ego came out to play― and murder council members in cold blood.

Sienna had never particularly been close with Alaric, but she felt bad for him. He was a good man, and he didn't deserve what was happening to him, or all of the self-hatred that came along with it. Even if what was happening wasn't his fault, Alaric still felt horrible and he hated himself for it. He couldn't even look Sienna in the eye, knowing that he had killed her father; that he was the reason she had lost someone.

Caroline was down at Abby's with Bonnie, helping the newly-turned vampire get used to the changes she had went through. That left Sienna back in Mystic Falls, helping Elena with their Alaric situation. Neither Forbes sister wanted to leave their friends to go through these things alone, so they had split up to cover more ground and be there for both of them.

This led her to where she was now, hanging back at the Gilbert household to keep an eye on Alaric while Elena went to the loft. Bonnie was hopeful that she could reverse the damage done by the ring, but she needed something personal to Alaric; an item that used to hold a lot of meaning to him before he started wearing the ring. He had sent Elena in search of his old wedding ring, unable to go himself since Meredith thought it would be best if he stayed where she could keep an eye on him. Elena trusted the doctor now, but the fact remained that she still didn't know Meredith very well, which prompted her to ask Sienna to stay behind with them. She trusted her lifelong friend a lot more than she trusted Meredith, and her mind was put at ease knowing Sienna would be there to keep an eye on him.

"I should probably say sorry for being such a bitch to you," Sienna spoke up, sitting on top of the breakfast bar as Meredith moved around the kitchen to throw some sandwiches together.

The doctor glanced over her shoulder and smiled lightly. "You were only trying to look out for your friends. I get it."

When Elena had went to the hospital to confront Meredith the previous afternoon, she had called Sienna in the hopes that she would tag along for moral support. The blonde had then left Damon and Stefan at the Grill to cook up whatever plan they were going to make, meeting up with Elena before heading to the hospital together. The conversation hadn't exactly gone how Elena had hoped, but Sienna hadn't hesitated to tell Meredith off for her friend. In a few very explicit and colorful words, the blonde had embarrassed Meredith in front of multiple passers-by and prompted the doctor to tuck tail and hurry off.