Chapter 19

Cas' POV
Dresses, awkward shoes, makeup, an abundance of jewellery and a tiara.

It doesn't feel like Eva. She seems like an entirely different person dressed like this.

"Woah, I've never seen your hair so neat before Eva! It's so silky and smooth, it's usually all tangled and messy, it's weird," I grin, trying to lighten the mood.
"You're weird. Plus, I've had it like this before."
"Yeah, that one time you did your hair nicely because Maven had to take us along with him on that business trip and he wanted us to look neat. Though I don't think I've ever seen you in a dress."

"That's because I'm not the biggest fan of them. I don't refuse to wear them, but if I have a choice, I likely won't wear the dress... is it bad that I'm incredibly nervous about all this?"
"Nah, I can't blame you. But don't worry, I'll be there the whole time. So, shall we get going your highness?"
"Shut up..." she laughs slightly.

I can't see her soul, but I can tell that it's trembling right now, even if she isn't. She hesitates when approaching the door, taking a moment to look down at her wrists, where the Silence remains.

Quickly, I turn into my dragon form and flutter over to her shoulder, perching on it. When a frown comes to her face, I rub my head against hers and it quickly disappears.

"You'll be okay. Just remember, whoever you become when you're out there isn't you. If they make you say horrible things about Impures and half bloods, just remember, that isn't you. You're not princess Eva."

She isn't.

She's Eva Kim.

A half blood.

A good person.

My friend.

Not a princess.

Not a monster.

Not what they'll try to tell her she is.

"Let's go," she finally says, opening the door.

I've never been in a place so extravagant. Even compared to Maven's house, I can't help but feel it's a little extreme.

A guard stands outside of her bedroom door, prepared to lead us to wherever we need to go. Even I can't help myself from being nervous, I've never been in front of big crowds or been in any formal situation. Soon, we're in the throne room.

I remember this place.

We were dragged here. I thought I was going to die here.

I thought we both could've died here.

The thought sends a shiver down my spine.

The guards everywhere, their tight grasp on me reminding me of the Silence. My wish for it to all be over. I was ready to let them kill me, of course she didn't let them.

She spent the next few days either sleeping or resting, I wanted to as well, and I did for some of that time, but it was so surreal to me. Nothing like what I was used to.

Though Eva was literally unable to feel warmth, I did grow up with very little of it too.

And I never spent much time with other people my age. I didn't know what to say, I would never usually speak in general. Though, at one point, Maven came into the room, and I talked to him properly for the first time as Eva snored quietly next to us.

"Still asleep huh?" He laughed as he walked in.
"Yeah... it's pretty impressive. Has she always been like this?"
"Surprisingly, no. She would always be the first one up and the last one asleep. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to hear a bit about you Cas. And how you came to encounter Eva in the first place, the girl fell asleep before she could even tell me."