Chapter 31

Alex's P.O.V

August 2nd, 2013

Eve, Victor and I waited for the full moon to rise and we watched Jackson and the pack, in their wolf form, come out of the woods. Hayley was somewhere deep in the Bayou getting ready to shift. Klaus knew where I was and had made me promise to be home tonight. I didn't want to spend the night in the Bayou, but I would spend as much time as I could with my family before I became sleepy.

Once, Jackson changed back to a human, got dressed, and help us make some stew. I handed him the jar of herbs and he took them from my hand, then mixed it into the stew as it boiled above the fire. We smiled and the rest of the pack gathered around us. We fed the herbs to everyone in the pack and as they finished, we all watched the full moon. The clouds started to cover the moon and any minute now, they would turn back into wolves if the cure didn't work.

When the moon was covered completely - nothing happens to the pack. It worked. Cheers of joy on being human again broke out around us and, Jackson and I hugged. I turned around when I saw Victor walk over to someone. It was Hayley in her human form and she walked over to Jackson and me. We hugged and laughed.

"We did it!" I cheered. Hayley pulled away and looked at Jackson who was standing behind me. "Oh, right," I moved away from being in between them. "Hayley meet Jackson. Jackson this is Hayley."

"It's very nice to meet you, Hayley," Jackson said and they shook hands while smiling at each other.

I copied their grin then glanced at Victor who was standing a good distance away. He was leaning against the wall of the cabin, with his arms crossed over his chest. I followed his gaze to Hayley and Jackson, then looked back over to him. There was an emotion in his eyes that reminded me of Damon, but what was it? Anger? No why would Victor be angry at Hayley and Jackson, they just met. Betrayal? But why would he feel betrayed, it's not like Hayley and Jackson were plotting his death. I watched as Victor looked down and then walked towards the dock on the lake.

I left the pair and walked over to the dock. I saw Victor sitting at the end drinking a beer. I didn't interrupt him, he wanted to be alone. He has always given me space whenever I felt this way, so I'll do the same for him. But I watched him. His shagged shoulders, as if in defeat, the way he angrily gripped his bottle, and the disappointing atmosphere you felt when you looked at him.

Then it clicked.

Victor liked Hayley and he was angry with how close she was to Jackson. I mean Hayley probably told him about her and Jackson's supposed to be marriage, and I have no doubt the Victor and Hayley are good friends. It would make sense if he developed feelings for her and was just waiting for a sign that she felt the same.

I went to step towards him but stopped. If I'm right, he needs space in order to sort through his emotions. That's the least I could do for him because I know he'd do the same for me. I dropped my head and walked back towards Hayley. She was laughing at something Jackson said, and now the sight hurt my heart. Either way, I put on a smile and walked up to them.

"Hey, Hayley?" I asked and she turned to me, her laughter dying down a bit. "Do you think you could give me a lift to the compound?"

"Why are you going back?" Jackson asked and I turned to him. "You should stay and celebrate with us."

"I wish I could, but my kids are draining a lot out of me and I want to pass out honestly," I told him with a slight laugh. "Plus I promise Klaus I be home after the curse was broken." Hayley just nodded towards me.

"She's right, Jackson, I should probably take her back," Hayley said. "I'll return though." Jackson looked at me with no emotion for a millisecond before smiling.