Chapter 17

Marinette felt like she was thrown back into the past.
    Her heart ached in her chest, and her blue eyes scanned across the clouds in the sky.
    She could hear a small rumble of thunder, but all she could solely focus on was the return of her children.

   Ladybug glanced back at Adrien, the blonde struggling to remain in one piece, quite literally.
   Adrien was falling apart, and despite Marinette's denial she was going to lose him.

   Ladybug reached up, her gloved fingertips brushing against the tiles of the old high school roof.
   The streets were empty, and Marinette could remember the times she'd sit right on the bench inside with Adrien in between classes.

    Half of his face had already fallen off, and all the was left of him was completely shattered.
    Marinette couldn't find it in her to look at him and she felt horrible for it.
    She knew that she only had a matter of seconds before Adrien would be nothing but a dust of broken glass.

    The heroine glanced down, hearing pieces of him falling as she attempted to lower herself down with Adrien by her side, but eventually failing.
   She was aware that this task could potentially kill him, but she didn't want to leave him behind either.
From the way the clouds began to roll im, she knew the rain drops would be falling down like bullets.
    If she left him behind, he'd die there as well.

It was as if no matter how much she tried to protect him or change his fate, it was not going to change.
   Ladybug was in a compromising position. Eventually she was left between choosing her husband and choosing her children.

Granted, she didn't love one more over the other, she swore she loved Adrien more than anything in this world when the two held each other that very first night in the Bourgeois hotel room.
    She remembered when he surprised her when he informed her that he knew her identity, on their first date by the Eiffel Tower.
    She couldn't forget how he stepped up to the plate and offered to take care of Louis with or without her.

   She could feel her heart sink, her chest heaving as she wanted to break down and sob.

   "The kids are in our old English class..." Adrien whispered, a weary smile on his lips as he could visibly see Ladybug's distraught at his current condition.

   Ladybug exhaled, tears bubbling in her eyes.

    "I...I can't take you with me..." she murmured, knowing that her choice between him and the children were obvious. The intuitive since the beginning of becoming a mother was evident, and she knew that Adrien wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

    "It's okay..." Adrien replied softly, his eyes slowly blinking as Ladybug placed her hand on to his cheek. "I don't want Louis to see me like this anyway..."

   Ladybug felt her chest grow tight, each time she touched him, she saw another piece of him fall off little by little.
    She felt as if she was abandoning the one she loved, and she didn't want him to feel as though she didn't love him because she did was every mother would do and chose her children over their first love.

    "Do you believe I loved you?" Ladybug asked, her heart aching in her chest as she wanted to know for the last time.

    Adrien glanced up at her, his eyes only growing dark as he desperately wanted to feel her caress.
   He didn't want this to be their final goodbye, but from the tears that bubbled in his eyes, he knew it was coming to an end.

   "Of course I believe you loved me..." he whispered, leaning into her hand, forcing the cracks on his porcelain skin to separate.  "When I lost you... you always asked me to put the children first..."