Chapter 7~

Ms. Carter's p. O. v.
___________
I stand by my window and watch all the students leave before I lock up.
Usually I'd be iffy in new places but something about this one makes me feel so much more sentimental. Maybe it's being closer to my sister and nephew that gets me. Or at the prospect of staying here a full year and possibly more and having the opportunity to make friends as an adult.
I've never really had the chance, so this job was one of the best things to happen to me thus far.

I pick up take out on the way back to my apartment and end up grading until I've read every paper. By the end I feel like my eyes hurt and have to take off my glasses. Seeing things blurry, right now, is so much better than looking at a bunch of tiny words for two hours.
Luna tries to jump up and I put her on the couch next to me as I decide on a movie.
But I already know what movie I'm gonna watch for the 50th time.

I check my phone for my sister again and decide to call her tomorrow.

The rest of my night is spent just like this. On the couch watching the same movie, with my baby, and feeling the stress of the day melt away.
I've never felt content in any unfamiliar space, but this one—I could definitely get used to.
It's certainly bigger than any of my other apartments, but then again those were studios and this is a loft. Not that it matters at all, as long as I have a place to go at night.
This is also one of the only I'd cared enough to decorate. With the soft dark grey and earth tones I picked it made me feel more like I was in a home rather than just another place.
I never got to decorate whenever I moved.
But this is my space.
Mine.