Chapter 16~

Payton's P. o. V.
____________
When she left I put my earbuds back in and texted Shilo to make sure we were still on for tonight. We're supposed to go to a lounge or something around 5 or 6 o'clock and I didn't really want to change my clothes because I'd be leaving from Bailey's house. He isn't coming though. Apparently him and Arthur have plans at a diner tonight. She and I made the plans this morning for some day next week but decided today would be perfect because her girlfriend would be at a family event.
While I waited for her to text back I finished up a chapter I was writing for my next book but I keep getting stuck on the same paragraph. Getting a little frustrated I just put it away and played a game on my phone to pass the time. It actually went quicker than I thought it would and around 2:20 Ms. Carter came back in with a huff and closed the door.
I smiled knowingly and took in her outfit today. Her fall dress was navy blue with black heels and the dark grey sweater she took before she left. The dress was fitted on her waist but loose at the bottom with a high neckline.
By the time she began walking to her desk I'd analyzed her outfit. As she sat down and finally realized I was here I started walking over to her desk.

"I knew you were still here."

"Oh did you?" I smirked.

"Yup." She smiled at me and I pulled up a chair.

"You had questions for me?" Her mind seemed to go blank for a few seconds and I sat down crossing one leg over the other.

"That's right I did. Is that okay?" She played with her sleeves and looked at her desk awaiting my answer making me frown a little.

"Of course it is I told you, you can ask me anything. I'm not easily offended." She took a breath and nodded.

"That's good, I'll start with an easy one though."

"Shoot."

"Why are you dressed so fancy?" I smiled realizing she noticed and looked down at my clothes.

"I'm going somewhere with an old friend later on and won't feel like changing before then."
I looked back up to her and noticed her a little flushed. She was looking at my outfit but her eyes glazed over for just a second. I got a little scared before I realized she was just looking at my shirt, I'm wearing a button up but they weren't done up all the way so it showed a little more than I thought it would. I touched her arm and she looked at me then to my hand and back at me.

"Oh sorry I was just"—she cleared her throat. "—thinking about something I'm sorry." She scratched the back of her head with her other hand and moved her fringe.

"Are you ok?" I smirked.

"Wha-oh yeah I'm good." I took my hand off of her and leaned forward.

"Why are you so flustered?" I asked raising a brow. This time she just stared at me, I'm quite sure she's stopped breathing. After a few seconds I had to make sure she was alright.

"Breathe." It was more demand than suggestion but I don't want her passing out.
She took in a deep breath and exhaled looking down at her desk again.

"Next question?" I asked.

"Uhm—oh yeah! What were you writing?" She grinned and I closed my eyes shaking my head for a moment and smiled when I opened them again.

"Fine. But—you have to let me ask you a question." She nodded.

"Fair enough."

"One of the questions gave me an idea for a chapter in a new novel I'm writing."

"WHAT?!! You have a book!!??" She gasped before continuing.
"Have I read it? What's the name??"
I just laughed and waited until she finished.

"I'm not telling you. But yes I have two actually, this will be my third but I'm having more trouble this time." I looked down then back to her and saw her pouting. She looks adorable but I don't say anything, just hold back my smile.

"Maybe at the end of this year. But those books are why I can afford most of the stuff I do, I'm glad my parents made me write on the weekends."

"They made you write, why?"

"Being they both share my common interest in books it only made sense for us to do that together. None of my other siblings like to do that kind of thing, so it was our thing. But now it's my turn." She leaned back in her chair and waited for me.

"Do you still want to ask me about being a lesbian?" I chose a more serious question and I can tell it was unexpected because she looked surprised.
I didn't want to pressure her into talking about it, if it made her uncomfortable so I waited. I heard her take a breath like she was going to say something. Lucky enough for me the bell rang before she got the chance to speak and she smirked and stood up.
"Saved by the bell." I said.

I stood after her and put the chair back before getting my bag. Slinging it over my shoulder and was about to walk to the door when I felt her hand in mine. I looked back and she tugged me to the window ledge. We both sat and she finally spoke again.

"I do still want to know"—her eyes glanced over to me watching her for a second. "—how you knew. But it really isn't any of my business is it?"

"No but I'm willing to share. How about for now I just ask a more lighthearted question?" She nodded and smiled.
"What's your first name?"