Chapter 4- The fair

ANNE

The charity bazaar was already packed with people when Anne arrived with Marilla. Everyone was well dressed, for such events were rare in Avonlea, and when they did take place, the villagers loved to show their best costumes, as if they were witnessing a great event.

Anne was pleased to have chosen the emerald green dress she had won from Diana's mother on her last birthday. It was a simple but elegant model, it marked her waist and made her look taller and highlighted the color of her eyes. In her hair she had put a tiara of wild flowers, because that bazaar not only raised money for the works of the church, but also celebrated the entrance of spring that would be from there a few days, and therefore, the flowers that Anne had in her hair were to honor the season that she loved most.

Marilla and Matthew were also elegant in their festive costumes, and she felt immensely proud to be by their side at such an important time for that community. They held in their hands a basket of bread and pies, which Marilla and Anne spent the day preparing to collaborate with the party. A task that the girl in particular did not appreciate very much, but that this time she had not complained about, grateful for being so busy that she had not had time to think about what had happened between her and Gilbert on the beach. She needed to get that incident out of her mind and that boy's eyes.

In the distance, she saw someone waving and she saw it was Diana. Anne never stopped being surprised by the beauty of her dear friend. She wore a navy blue dress that contrasted beautifully with her black hair, stuck on one side with a blue clip too, leaving her with the tiny pearl earrings that adorned her delicate ears, a family heirloom. When Diana came closer, Anne said:

- Diana, you look wonderful!

- Look at you, Anne Shirley. Beautiful as ever- Diana returned the compliment, and Anne realized she didn't look very happy, she asked worried:

- Did something happen, Diana? You look sad. - and she held her friend's hand, hoping she'd tell her what was troubling her.

- My mother spoke to me again about Paris. She wants me to move in with my Aunt Josephine and finish my studies there. She says a girl can only become a real lady if she receives an education from Paris. Can you believe that? - Diana said with her eyes full of tears.

Oh, Diana. That can't be true. I can't part with you, we're almost sisters. - said Anne, now also sad about the news.

- I told her I don't want to go, but she keeps insisting. I don't care about all that French politeness. I like it here, my friends, the school. I can educate myself right here, I don't have to go that far to become a respectable lady. - continued Diana, now outraged.

- And your father? What does he think of that? - Anne wanted to know

- He said it's Mama who decides, but I know he agrees with me. He just doesn't want to upset his wife. – after saying that, Diana started crying.

- Please don't cry. We'll find a way to convince her. - Anne hugged her, trying to comfort her. Then she saw two figures approaching and whispered in her friend's ear:

- Don't look now, but Ruby and that insufferable Josie are coming. Wipe those tears and disguise them, for you know how mean and gossipy Josie is, and I'm sure she'll make up a thousand stories and go out spreading them if she sees you like that.

When the two girls approached, Anne looked at them both and said with fake joy:

- Hello, girls. You look very elegant. Ruby, this pink dress of yours is splendid!