N I N E T E E N

Alexa

I sat next to Jackson in Ryan's history class, as usual.  I tapped my fingers on the desk, as I thought about my life that was slowly getting better. I have three friends, I have an uncle who cares, I think, Veronica is a great stepmom, and Cameron is being nice to me. Still, though, when will all of this progress in my life shatter? When will things go back to how it used to be, or even worst? I can't let my guard down, but I want to be like every other kid —— normal and happy.

"Miss. Hart!" Ryan called out. "I need to speak to you after class."

"Yes, sir," I said, wondering if she did something wrong or if her uncle just wanted to talk to her. Jackson raised an eyebrow at me, but I payed him no mind.

"Lemme guess, you don't want us to wait?" Jackson said, knowing me all too well, considering I never allow them to wait for me. Mainly, because I don't need them to. I'm able to manage without them. For the most part.

"You guessed right," I smirked.

"Jackson! Alexa! No talking or I'll have to give you detention," Ryan said, but he sported a good natured grin, as if to tell us he was only joking. I giggled quietly, exchanging looks with Jackson.

From behind us: "What's so funny?" Michael whispered rather loudly.

"You need whispering lessons," Jackson told him, rolling his eyes.

"Guys, shut up! I'm trying to learn," Elliot said.

Just than, the bell rung.

Jackson, Elliot and Michael left after telling me bye. I noticed Ryder walking out with Blake and Ethan, giving me a glare before he went. He clearly is not going to stop hating me anytime soon, but thankfully, I don't flinch as much when someone gives me looks of absolute scorn or venom.

I walked up to Ryan, who was sorting through some paper. Without glancing up, he said, "Hello, Alexa! I've been wanting to spend some time with my niece."

A small smile crept on my face —— is this the first time he actually called me his niece? And did he just say he wanted to spend time with me? "I feel the same," I muttered, mentally cursing myself for the response I gave my uncle.

Ryan chuckled. "Are you allowed to hang out after school?" he asked. "I'll really like to get to know you, Alexa."

"I'm sure my stepmom will allow it," I said. Hopefully. I'm probably not even going to ask, though. I don't want my dad or stepbrothers to hear or ask questions or beat me up.

Ryan smiled. "Wonderful, Alexa."

•••

Ryan

I'm so glad that after all of these years, I've finally found my niece and nephew, of only the circumstances weren't so extreme and if only my nephew was okay enough to be with Alexa and me.

After a dreadfully long day of teaching, I saw Alexa talking with her guy friends by the lockers. She rolled her eyes at something Jackson said, a slight smirk appearing on her face. Then, she awkwardly grinned at something Michael said. Elliot was just there, listening.

Alexa made eye contact with me, and started heading my way, only for Michael to pull her wrist, no doubt asking her where she was going. I wouldn't like those three if —- one, they weren't my students, and two, if they didn't seem to care about my niece so much, which hopefully boarders along the line of being like brothers to her.

Jackson and Michael both glanced over my way, while Elliot walked away, seemingly bored with their conversation. Alexa said something, which caused Michael to pat her head and for Jackson to chuckle, two opposing reactions that I couldn't even began to guess what she said or what they were talking about. Maybe I should get closer, but that'll be weird. Besides, Alexa hasn't told anyone that I'm her uncle yet.

Finally, Alexa walked over to me, a nervous grin on her face. "Hi, Mr. Haynes!" she greeted. She tilted her head behind her and said bye to Michael and Jackson, who were walking away.

"Do they know?" I questioned with furrowed eyebrows.

Alexa shook her head.

"Are you gonna tell them that I'm your uncle?" I asked as the both of us walked out of the school.

Alexa seemed to think about that question, worry in her dark blue eyes, though I couldn't know what she was exactly worrying about. "I will, eventually," she said after a few seconds, sighing as she gave her answer. "Once I process it. I still haven't, really. It's kind of a big deal."

I shook my head in amusement, a grin on my face. "I understand, Alexa," he said. "Want to meet my fiancé and her brother? He's kind of like a brother to me, since I've never had one."

Alexa snorted. "Can't say I'm not jealous. But I'll love to meet them."

"Great," I said. "But before that, how about I ask you some questions? To get to know you better?"

Alexa nodded. "Okay," she said.

"Here's my car," I said, opening the passenger side for Alexa. She glanced at me a few seconds before shrugging and getting in. I closed the door and weeny to the other side of the car to get in the driver's side.

Alexa was looking around. Then, she asked, "Where are we going before I go meet your fiancé and brother-like figure?"

"We're just going to sit here for a bit," I answered. "Then, we'll go. What's your favorite color?"

Alexa looked at me, startled, as if not expecting me to ask a question so soon. Then, she realized. "Oh," Alexa giggled awkwardly. "It's green," she answered. "What's yours, Ryan?"

"It's blue," Ryan said, "which is a pretty common favorite, don't you think?"

"Because it's a pretty color," Alexa said. "Blue's probably my second, followed by grey."

So there, in my car, the both of us went back and fourth asking non personal questions. Simply lighthearted and unimportant, yet so fun and informational.

Pretty soon, the both of us was ready to go to my house.