T H I R T Y - T W O

Ryan

After school was over, I had to stay until five, but then I went home. I was exhausted, per usual, seeing as I'm a teacher and middle schoolers are quite the handful.

When I got home, I was greeted by Malissa, AKA, my fiancé. She gave me a peck on the lips and welcomed me home. She's a writer, so she is her own boss, really.

"Have a nice day at work?" Malissa asked me.

"I suppose," I said, but then I noticed Dylan on the couch. He goes to school too, and works on the weekends. He seemed deep in thought, rubbing his imaginary beard. "What's up with him?" I whispered to Malissa.

Malissa shrugged, sighing heavily. "I don't know," she said. "My brother has been spacing out quite a bit since we've been back. Maybe he has a girlfriend?"

"If that's the case, than it's high time for some guy talk, I got this, Mal." I winked at my fiancé. She rolled her eyes playfully, before leaving to go to our bedroom.

I went over to sit next to my future brother in law, but he didn't seem to notice. "Hey, what's up with you?" I questioned, causing him to flinch, but then sighed annoyingly when he realized it was me.

"Nothing," he muttered.

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure?" I prided.

"No," Dylan said, which caught me completely off guard.

"You're not sure?" I asked. Normally when someone ask if they're sure, the answer is yes...

Dylan shook his head offhandedly. "So, know the reason why I'm staying with you and my sister, right?"

"Because your parents were assholes," I said. "No offense..."

"None taken."

Why suddenly bring them up now? See, Dylan and Malissa had abusive parents, so when Mal moves in, her brother came too, which I didn't mind. I'm just glad that they're both out of that awful situation.

"What's going on?" I asked. "Is something bothering you?" Okay, that was a really obvious and idiotic question. The answer is obviously—

"Yes," Dylan said with a slight sigh. "Okay, she told me not to tell, but how can I not?"

"What do you mean?" I asked worryingly.

"Well, I know someone who's in an... abusive situation back at home," Dylan said. "She told me not to tell... and I really want going to, though I wanted to, but then I've been thinking, and realized that this shouldn't be kept in the dark. I mean, I know what it's like. Maybe we can get her out of that situation, preferably before it's too late."

"Oh..." I said softly. "Who are you talking about?"

"Your niece," Dylan answered.

"W-WHAT?!" I sputtered, blinking. Did I hear him right? My niece — Alexa — is being abused? "Are you pulling my arm?"

"First of all, it's leg." Dylan shook his head. "No, she told me this weekend," he said.

"Oh, well, I'm definitely getting her out of that situation," I said. "Dylan, you won't be against me getting custody or adopting her by any chance, would you?"

It was only a question out of courtesy and because I knew he wouldn't mind. I was going to do this anyways; how could we just leave her in that situation?