Chapter 18: Day of Fun 2.0

I turn and look at Nikki wide eyed, this is exactly the thing we were hoping wouldn't happen!

"Nikki." I mouth "what do you want me to do?"

He sighs with the look of fear in his eyes. I see him contemplate while looking at the door, before pulling my shirt and straps back up.

"I'll hide." He whispers "just answer the door and say I'm in my office."

"Okay." I mouth getting up off the bed after Nikki.

I watch him step into my closet pointing his finger towards the door, before I go and open it.

I mess up my hair a little and rub my eyes, so it looks like I just woke up. This needs to be believable.

After I open the door all the way I see that it's Storm. She has slippers on and a blanket in her hand.

My heart almost broke right there, she looked so sad.

"Babe what's wrong?" I ask leaning down to match her height.

"Sorry to wake you." She sniffles "but have you seen my dad? He's not in his room."

"Maybe he's in his office, have you checked there?" I ask reciting what Nikki told me.

She wipes her nose "no."

"Well what happened?" I ask.

"I just had a bad dream." She says looking at the ground.

"Oh I'm sorry." I say feeling bad that I'm the reason Nikki isn't comforting her right now.

"It's okay." She says before abruptly pulling me into a hug.

"Oh." I say caught off guard.

I feel her put her head on my shoulder and I hug her back trying my best to comfort her myself.

Nikki didn't think this through very well. I need to find a way to give him time to get to his office. I need a way to distract Storm.

"How about I go make you some hot chocolate, then we go find your dad?" I say.

"Okay!" She says immediately in a better mood.

I smile and grab her hand leading her down to the kitchen, which happened to be far away from the office.

...

"Is it good?" I ask Storm after she takes her first sip.

She nods "is there anymore marshmallows?"

"Yeah sure!" I say handing her the bag.

"I don't mean to keep you up." She says "we can find my dad now."

"It's no problem." I say hopping Nikki took my hint and made it into his office. "But yeah we can."

I smile as she hops off the barstool with her hot chocolate, and we both head towards his office.

The light was on in the room, which was a good sign maybe he found a way to look busy.

I go to knock on the door, but Storm who was eager to see if her dad was behind it, quickly enters.

Nikki had his glasses on and a book in  hand when we entered. I breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Hey guys." He says looking surprised "what are you doing up so late?"

I look at Storm who says nothing so I tell Nikki myself "she had a bad dream, I figured if you weren't in your room you would be in here."

"Oh I'm sorry hunny." He says getting up to come hug her "I'm sorry I wasn't there."