Investigation Day 3 Part 2

DECEMBER 27, 2:01 PM
EDGEWORTH LAW OFFICES

Detective Badd opened the front door to my father's office with Mr. Gant, Lana and Dick with them. Detective Badd sighed in annoyance, narrowing his eyes at Mr. Von Karma. I can't blame him. Mr. Von Karma was supposed to be working with everyone in this investigation, and didn't wait for them. Still, I was more worried about what I just learned about Father. I felt myself shaking.

"Sorry for being late, Mr. Von Karma," Dick apologize, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Still leaving me in the dust," Detective Badd said.

"We have bigger things to worry about. Where's Faraday!?" Mr. Von Karma asked in a demanding voice.

"Right here. Such a pity you had to start the investigation without us. I was hoping for more teamwork from you," Mr. Faraday said, looking slightly annoyed.

"We can talk about that later. Gant, you are close to and have known Gregory the longest time, correct?" Manfred asked.

"Yes. We go far back before Debeste," Mr. Gant replied proudly.

"Did you know he was one of the ringleaders of an international smuggling ring during the days he was Chief Detective?"

The room went silent as Mr. Gant's facial expression changed from a jolly one I've always seen to a far darker and graver one. Oh no, he's mad. (1)

"No... I didn't. You found something?" Mr. Gant asked.

"Yes, this document that Ms. Newslayday had recorded being smuggled or delivered to his office before retrieving it somehow is a German documentation of data of the purchasing and selling of... children."

"Child Trafficking. You... can't be serious!" Detective Badd cried in sweat.

"It's... possible this could've been for Debeste. He was a ringleader as well. We don't know the full documentation and, being a Ringleader, it might've been expected for him to have been aware of the other branches, but we cannot look at this and ignore the implications."

"I'm taking a guess Mr. Edgeworth is no longer a member, at least not since leaving the force. At least it explains why he left the Police Department in the dust. No one that has left the Smuggling Ring as ever blabbed and lived to tell the tale. Two things would've happened: he would've likely been killed and the new Chief Detective in his place would've been just another ringleader. It could've even been one of the two, had he just simply left," (2) Mr. Faraday said in a more serious tone. "That man is in a world of trouble on so many levels. It's a wonder he's still alive. He's like a cockroach."

"Prosecutor Faraday, I would like to interrogate Gregory Edgeworth... personally," Mr. Gant requested. Yep, he's mad at Father. I'd be mad too, if it were either of my friends. I'd probably drag them outside and kick them.

"Hm... well, you are his friend. Go nuts. That man has some explaining to do."