Midtrial Day 3 Part 2

DECEMBER 28, 8:50 AM
DISTRICT COURTHOUSE
DEFENDANT LOBBY #7

After entering inside the Defendant Lobby, it wasn't long before I heard the door open. I saw Wendy with Robert Hammond, who was anything but happy. Wendy was certainly quick to bring that man over. Though, she did run out to get him only five minutes before the Judge called for a recess. Because of this, Chief (1) arrived here right after recess was called. This would give me the time I needed to prepare him for testimony.

"Thanks, Wendily," I said.

"Pff that was hardly much. I have to say, Miles is a savage little beast. Called out Mr. Hammond for throwing the Prosecution petty insults," Wendy smirked.

"That's my son for you," I replied bashfully, rubbing the back of my neck. Miles is a sweet kid, but when someone is being a jerk to him or his loved ones, he can throw them a new one and make them look stupid or pathetic. (2)

"Not really something to encourage the boy on," Chief stated.

"I wouldn't consider using Miles' trauma against him encouraging either. That's low, even for you," (3) I replied as Chief glanced over to the side guiltily.

"I'll let you two talk it out. Gotta make sure those whippersnappers don't make a muck in the courthouse," Wendy said, taking her exit. I guess she wants to avoid the drama.

"I never meant to hurt Miles. You know I'd never..." Chief stated.

"I know. You didn't hurt Miles as much as you're making him worry. He knows you're not acting like yourself and is worried you're being threatened. Considering what that man did to my son and Manfred, I'm not going to ignore that possibility. What is going on, Robert? (4) What's the real reason you're defending Blaise?" I asked demandingly. I could spot some hesitation.

"Mr. Hammond..." Misty muttered.

"As Defense Attorneys, it's our job to defend our clients. I doubt Blaise is going to find any Defense Attorney anytime soon. I thought I'd take the job," Chief replied, showing a bit of his smirk. I noticed Misty behind me giving him a glare that seemed to be staring right into his soul.

"I can see three psyche-locks," Misty stated.

"Really, Misty?"

"You're lying, Mr. Hammond. You gave me the duty to help Mr. Edgeworth. If it means using this against you, I will," Misty replied, revealing the green stone in her pocket.

The green stone began to glow and I could see green swirls inside Chief's eyes. I stared at the stone, then Chief's eyes with question and curiosity. Misty turned to me, showing brilliant confidence in her expression.

"The magnatama's power is to reveal secrets. I can see the secrets in the form of psyche-locks in Mr. Hammond's heart. To break the locks, first the magatama uses the psyche-locks to chain the target in place. This way, he cannot break free or escape. From there, you are to question him. The closer you are to what is inside each psyche-lock, the harder it will be for the target to resist. Right now, those psyche-locks are guarded by willpower. Though, be careful when you question him, if you stray from the truth, the power of the magatama will break and the target will escape," Misty instructed as I nodded. "Right now, there's three. I will trust you to question Mr. Hammond."