Chapter 5

A few days had passed since the second time I saw Tom. Sometimes I would catch myself thinking about him and I noticed my cheeks felt warmed with a blush when I realised I was thinking about him.

I hadn't gotten around to texting him yet, I didn't want to come across as too eager so I tried to play it cool for a few days. But I also didn't want to leave it too long and have him forget about me.

I had just been so busy getting more things for the house and trying to choose paint colours, some garden furniture and a new desk for the spare room/study. The house needed some more love before it really felt like my home and that was important to me.

Searching for a job was also frustratingly time consuming. I had saved up a lot of money before my move which enabled me to buy the things I needed and live without having to work straight away but I knew it was better to find some work before my funds were running low.

I had applied for a few retail positions, including the lovely homeware shop near Jace and Lucys cafe. I had yet to hear back from the other places I applied for, but I had an interview a Home & Co on Wednesday morning.

I had already mentally picked out my outfit. Some high waisted pale pink trousers, with a a high necked chiffon white long sleeve blouse. I imagined the outfit with some white ballet flats with rose gold trim on the toes and a plain rose gold bangle.

It was a late Tuesday afternoon and I had just gotten through the front door with my shopping bags in tow. I laid out all the groceries on the counter and began to put them all away. I caught myself, again, thinking about his smile, and gorgeous curly hair, the light freckles across his face and how he seemed so easy to get along with.

My wallet was buried under the mountain of groceries but after fishing it out, I pulled that small piece of napkin from it's space. I reached into my back pocket and set up a new contact.

Hey, it's Rhylee :) we met a few days ago

I set my phone down on the counter while I refilled Archies water and boiled the kettle for myself. Trying not to just sit and wait for his reply I grabbed a mug from the cupboard and added two scoops of coffee and a sugar. The kettle popped to signal it had boiled and I grabbed the milk from the fridge.

I took my mug and set it down on the coffee table in the lounge room and switching on the tv. My phone pinged from my back pocket, telling me I had a text.

My phone screen lit up and smile crossed my face

Hey, how are you?

Tom had texted. I sent him a reply telling him I was great and asking how he was too. I sipped on my coffee and was half watching the tv.

We texted back and forth for a few minutes. Reruns of The Walking Dead were playing on the Tv so I settle for that.

Are you free this afternoon? I'm going to take Tessa to the park if you want to join :)

Toms message said.

That sounds great, should I meet you there?

Great, does around 3:30 work? The next message said.

Perfect! See you soon :)

I finished off my drink and put my mug in the dishwasher. Rushing upstairs, I changed from my comfy jeans and shirt to a pair of black and red ombre gym tights and a long sleeve black work out shirt. The ankles of my leggings were a solid red colour and at my calves the block colour changed to look like red smoke winding its way up to below my knees and then dispersing into the plain black material.