-1-

Yes, I am now officially starting book two. I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to update I've been so busy with school.

I hope you all enjoy it!

—Danica

ps. (future me) hey, I'm just editing the chapters, grammar, and spelling so, please ignore the multiple updates.

________

SAPPHIRE

"Just ask her out already," I point out with an eye roll. "Seriously, you two have been going around each other for six months now and it's getting annoying."

"I'm just waiting for the right time, sis, I don't want her to think I'm rushing things."

I chucked, "Jeez, Jake, it's a date, not a fucking marriage proposal."

"I know... I know... I'm just really nervous, you know? I've never felt this shit before."

"Sherry's a pretty woman and smart too, and she's surrounded by her co-workers every single day of the week, and I'm ninety percent sure at least two of them likes her, If I were you, I'd move fast. I heard that dude named Erik is gonna ask her out." Ok, that's a lie, but I know my brother. He always does everything that he can to get what he wants.

"Where did you know that—I gotta go, bye!" And the line went dead. Sighing, I threw my phone at my bed and got up to get some snacks.

Hmm... Apples sound nice.

As I walked along with the living room, I heard a knock on my door. I went to the peephole and looked at who it was.

It was from Chris.

I removed the lock and opened the door.

"Hey, Chris" I greeted.

"Hey, kid." He smiles at me.

"Come in" I move aside and he steps in.

"Uh, have a seat. I'll go get you something in the kitchen. Is tea, okay?" I ask as we walked to the living room. The apartment was small, and I could see the living room even if I was in the kitchen.

"Yeah, that's okay," He says as he sits on the couch.

Chris has been checking on me from time-to-time. It was nice, he's kind of like the father I never had.

I went to the fridge and got some apples and cut them up, I took two mugs from the cupboard and poured some hot water on it. I opened my jar of tea and put one bag each on the two mugs. I put them on a tray and went to the living room. I hand one mug to Chris and he takes it, thanking me along the process. I set the tray down and sat on the small couch facing him.

"What brings you here?" I ask.

He sips from the mug and sets the mug down on the coffee table. He hands me a folder that I didn't notice he was holding. I took it from him and opened it.

It was the research paper I made when I was in twelfth grade. It was about using mangosteen extract as a cure for cancer.

It was a success, my school bought it and published it.

"My friend, Rebecca Chambers, saw your work and she was impressed. She wants to hire you in her lab as one of her staff."

"What... I... I haven't even finished college; I don't think I'll be qualified for that."

"She is willing to sponsor you to a university you want to go to. This is a big opportunity for you, and right now we need more people like you working."

This is all too much, but Chris is right. This is a big opportunity and if I let this pass there's a big chance, I'll end up regretting it. And I could use an environment change, I've been stuck in this apartment for months now. Home studying is not great. Efficient, but not great long term.

"I'll do it. But, I'll need some time to think about which university I'll go to."