21

DAD-TALK

"So... what are we gonna do?" Yoongi rubbed the back of her hand gently, with his thumb.

"I'm sure dad's gonna call me soo-"

They were interrupted by the ringtone of Tresa's phone. She checked her screen and grew nervous, "Speak of the Devil."

She answered it immediately, "Dad - I know, I'm sorry - Okay - Thanks, Dad - Love you, too."

Although Yoongi couldn't hear the complete conversation, he was a bit relieved to see a little smile playing on her lips after she disconnected her call.

"What did he say?"

"Umm... he wants to meet you." Tresa bit her bottom lip.

Yoongi froze yet again, "Is that good or bad...?"

"That will be determined only after you meet him. But he sounded rather calm." Tresa noticed his tensed self. She placed her hand on his knee, "You don't have to. You can take your time. I'll just-"

"No, no. I want to, Tres. I want to meet him and let him know that I'll keep you safe and that I deserve you." He smiled, eyes creasing.

•••

"So you're the man that stole my little girl's heart, huh?" Mr Kim reached his hand out to the young male, which was immediately reciprocated.

"Dad!" Tresa playfully hissed at her father to which he chuckled.

"Tresa, dear, could you please wait outside while I give your boyfriend a little dad-talk?" He smiled.

His charisma truly mesmerised Yoongi. He was so casual that he almost forgot that he was the richest man alive in Korea at this moment.

"Please be nice." Tresa chimed to her dad before giving Yoongi a reassuring smile and leaving the two men alone.

"Please. Take a seat, young man." Mr Kim showed Yoongi to the sofa.

They sat themselves down, "Do you want anything to drink?" The CEO asked.

"No, sir." Yoongi concealed his tension under a calm facade.

"Not even alcohol?" Mr Kim walked to the little bar in the corner of his office and poured some brandy into two glasses, passing one of it to Yoongi.

Yoongi bowed his head, "Thank you, sir."

"I'll cut the chase and get to it." The older man took a sip of the golden liquid. Suddenly the warm demeanour turned ice-cold, "My daughter means the world to me. Before her, it was her mom. I'm sure you might know how that story ended." He sighed.

It was a well-known fact that Kim Taejin fell in love with an American woman during a business conference in Washington and married her, who died - a few years after giving birth to Tresa - as she became a victim to cancer.

"Ever since her mom left her in my hands, I've taken care of her as if she's a delicate cocoon. I've given her everything she's asked for. I care deeply about the guy she chooses too. The guy before you was nothing but a sick bastard who used her and crushed her. I hope those aren't your intentions as well."

The guy before me?

Yoongi shook my head, confidently, "No, sir. In fact, I didn't know she was your daughter until the news made it to the headlines. I promise I'll take care of her."

Taejin chuckled lightly at that, "Then I wish you well, my son. Because it's going to be a tough ride."

•••

"What did he say? He wasn't too harsh, was he?" Tresa asked as they sat in Yoongi's car.

Yoongi smiled, "No. He just asked me to take good care of his beloved daughter. He loves you a lot."

"I know." She giggled, "Hey. Can we go out somewhere? I want you to know more about me."

•••

Even though they planned on going out, they settled on staying at Yoongi's flat since it was the safest place, away from the media's eye.

"Okay, so. As you may know, I'm half Korean and half American."

"Mm-hmm."

"Two, I'm Kim Taejin's daughter."

"Too late, but okay." Yoongi chuckled, looking at Tresa's crescent eyes that were so similar to Mr Kim's. But soon her smile faded into a sad frown. The air around them turned thick.

"I, uh... I used to date this guy before you. It was two years ago." She gulped the knot in her throat.

"Hey." Yoongi noticed the tension and placed his hand on her thigh, "You don't have to say it if you're not ready, okay?"

"No. I want to say it. You deserve to know it."