chapter 2

THE SUN SHONE BRIGHTLY IN the room, causing Astra to wake up with a groan

THE SUN SHONE BRIGHTLY IN the room, causing Astra to wake up with a groan. She grabbed a pillow and put it on her face in order to block out the light. Just as she was beginning to doze off again, someone knocked on the door.

"Astra! Are you awake? Carlisle needs to see you." Renesmee called out from the other side of the door. Astra groaned and rolled over onto her back, she threw her pillow to the side and stared at the ceiling.

"I'll be there in a few minutes." she spoke, her voice hoarse from not speaking for so many hours. She heard footsteps retreating and she finally got out of bed. Sighing deeply, she went over to the chest of drawers and grabbed some clothes to wear for the day.

Once she was dressed, she made her way down the stairs, trying to follow the same way that Alice had brought her. Finally, she reached the living room. She was thankful that she hadn't lost her way. Rosalie and Emmett were the only two in the living room and they both looked at her as she walked in. Rosalie gave her a harsh look, whilst Emmett gave her a goofy smile.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty!" he chirped with a wink, causing Rosalie to elbow his side with a ghost of the smile in her face.

"Morning." Astra replied as she watched the interaction, "Do you know where Carlisle is?"

"He's in his study." Rosalie said, her voice cold. She had her eyes closed and she was leaning on her husband. She didn't even bother to glance her way as she spoke

Astra stood there for a moment, not really knowing where the 'study' was. Once she realized they weren't going to be much help, she started walking to different rooms to try to find him. She entered a hallway and heard voices coming from one of the rooms.

"We shouldn't tell her yet, Carlisle." the voices were muffled, but she could clearly tell it was Edward speaking. "She could decide that she wants to seek out others like her.

Astra's eyebrows scrunched in confusion and she listened to his words. She quietly walked closer to the door and tried to stay as silent as possible.

"She won't do that." Alice chimed in. Astra felt her lips twitching upward at the voice of the kind girl.

"We don't know that." Bella said with a sigh. Suddenly it got really quiet in the room. Astra could hear her own heartbeat and she tried to slow it down. The door abruptly swung open and Astra was left staring into the eyes of Carlisle Cullen. She gave him a small, guilty smile and felt her cheeks getting hot.

"Hi." she squeaked out. She felt like she had just been caught by her father after she had been eavesdropping on an important mafia meeting.