chapter 16

"WE'RE SO GLAD YOU'RE BACK." Marcus said as Astra walked into the throne. Caius nodded his head in agreement, causing her eyes to flicker over to him.

     "Yes. I was starting to wonder if you were really going to come back." The blonde king mused with a bored expression on his face.

     He must still be upset about Conner, Astra thought to herself. "I was tempted to run off, but I didn't think I'd get very far." she said with a tight smile. It was a lie. She hadn't even considered leaving them yet. She valued her life too much, and for some reason she couldn't bring herself to hurt any of the three kings.

     Aro got up from his throne and walked up to her with a bright smile, "How was your time away with your brother?" he asked, his hand twitched and Astra mentally sighed knowing he wanted to read her thoughts.

"It was good." said Astra as she walked away from Aro and went towards Caius. She didn't want Aro in her head all of the time and she didn't get to see much of Caius when she had gotten back to the castle the first time. She awkwardly stood in front of him, his eyes were piercing into hers, an unreadable expression in them. "Where did you run off to?" she asked, trying to appear nonchalant. Conner was still missing and she was worried that Caius had taken him.

Caius smirked at her, reached up and grabbed her wrist and then pulled her onto his lap. He wrapped his arms around her and buried his head into the crook of her neck. "I could ask you the same thing." he whispered. His breath fanned across the blonde girls skin, causing a chill to go down her spine and her breath to hitch.

"You're trying to change the subject."

Marcus watched the scene in front of him with a fond smile. He could see the bond between the four of them beginning to slowly strengthen. Astra still wasn't opening up completely to them, but he knew she would in time.

     Caius lifted his head out of Astra's neck and gazed at her with an innocent smile. "I'm not sure I know what you mean, princess."

     Astra sighed and briefly closed her eyes, "Did you happen to kidnap Conner?" When she opened her eyes again, Caius was staring at her with a glint of anger in his eyes.

     "As much as I would've loved to take him and torture him for ever even speaking to you, no. I didn't kidnap him. But I can if that's what you want." the blonde king said as he began to lightly rub his fingers up and down her arm.

     "We can help look for him after you eat dinner." said Marcus. He walked closer to them, causing Astra to turn and look at him. He couldn't help the smile that appeared on his face as he looked into her eyes.

     "You will?" asked Astra. Her eyes flickered as she studied his face, trying to see if he was lying.

      "We will." he confirmed.

      A bright smile appeared on Astra's face. She stood up from her spot on Caius' lap and took two steps forward to hug Marcus. She wrapped her arms around him tightly, "Thank you."

     Marcus eagerly hugged her back and breathed deeply, taking in her scent. "Of course."