Secrets

Danica

"Perfect." My mother said as she backed away from me.

My dress is simple. White with barely any embellishments. It has a sweetheart neckline and the bottom is full like a ball down. I wore the Italian lace veil my mother wore at her own wedding.

My hair is up, because my mother said the attention should be in my eyes. She added more makeup than the women downstairs wear, and it just doesn't feel right.

"You look beautiful." My mother turned me toward the mirror and we both looked at our image.

"After today, you are to report to me on a daily basis." She reached up and squeezed my chin harshly.

"This new husband of yours is up to something. I don't trust him, and your only job is to find out what it is and tell me." She spoke into my ear.

"You're bruising my chin." I fought back the tears.

"There's birth control pills and condoms above your bathroom sink. Do not get pregnant, and I'm only giving you this one warning." She let go of my chin and I reached up to rub it.

"Why are you doing this now?" I kept fighting back the tears.

She smiled. "Don't worry about it, now go play the happy bride and do your job. Let him take you, but do not get pregnant."

She's absolutely crazy.

Just then, my father walked in with a big smile on his face. "My daughter is almost as beautiful as her mother on our wedding day." He looked me up and down.

"I'll give the two of you a moment." My mother said, then kissed my father's cheek and walked out.

He tilted his head. "What's wrong? I thought you were feeling better about this arrangement." He asked, then looked at my chin. "What happened there?" He snarled, and I just shut my eyes and shook my head.

"Did she do this to you?" He asked.

I refused to speak. I know who the most dangerous one is in this house.

"You have to tell me, Danica." He said, and I shook my head.

"She warned you not to get pregnant, and she wants you to spy on your groom. Dammit, we talked about this." He snapped, then put his hand on my shoulder.

"Your mother has lost her mind. I'll take care of it. Do as you were told, and just enjoy your marriage." He said, and handed me his handkerchief.

"You mean my fake marriage," I said, and he smirked.

"Come sit with me." He led me to my bed and we sat with my hand in his.

"In your apartment, you will find a safe. Hide this combination, and when the time comes to run, run as fast as you can with the contents of the safe. There is a man and he will help, all the instructions are in with those papers. There is a trust set up by my father for you. Once you give life to an heir, you will be awarded all of it. It's in an offshore account and cannot be traced. Don't worry about Dash, me, or your brother, just run." He said.

I'm confused. "Why are you doing this?"

"You'll know when the time is right. I wasn't on board with this Dash arrangement at first, but he won't send men after you the way Manducci will, so just go." He said.

"Why?" I asked.

"There's more than enough money there to sustain you quite nicely. You'll know when the time is right." He looked at me and sighed. "I know everything." He said.

"Everything about what?" I asked out of fear.

"I know you've been spying, and your journals were found a long time ago. I don't know much about this Dash fellow, but I can see there's still some good in him. Don't worry about Lark, I know you both hate me, but hopefully, someday you'll understand. Your main concern right now is to worry about your marriage. What you can create, is your only ticket to freedom." He said.

"By getting pregnant?" I asked.

"Yes, and the rest will be known to you." He said.

"What do I tell Dash?" I asked.

"Nothing for now. He's still on this side of the law and he won't hesitate to stop you. Especially, if you're carrying his child. Just do as I say, and whatever you do, do not tell anyone. Do you understand?" He asked.

"Yes," I said in pure shock. There's nothing about this in my journals, so he must have no clue who Dash really is, but he knows I betrayed him.

"I'm sorry," I said with a tear in my eyes.

"You're not the only one that has been living at her mercy. Ever since I brought Lexi home, she's been plotting against me." He said.

"What about the little ones?" I asked.

"I'm not sure yet, but your mother knows about this trust and wants to keep you under her thumb. I'll take care of everyone else, you just worry about yourself. We better go, they're going to get suspicious." He said.

"Wait, Dash has cameras in here," I said.

"No, I made him turn them off so we could have some alone time." He said.

"When?" I asked.

"When does Dash do what he does? He does more than you know under our noses." He said.

"You trust him?" I asked.

"With you, I do." He said.

This isn't good.

"Let's get down there before your mother comes looking for us." He said, so I pushed the little piece of paper into my cleavage, then he guided me down to face my future.