Welcome Home

Danica

I wish I had a female friend. I've always wished to have friends, but right now it would be nice. Lane took me shopping for something to wear tonight. All of my stuff is still in storage and he said I shouldn't dress too fancy. I guess they only get fancy for weddings and funerals or something. He said most people will be wearing jeans. I chose a black lacey dress that stops above my knees.

My body seems to be the same other than my boobs being a little bigger. I'm still in shock over carrying his baby so quickly. I can't wait to feel our baby move. I bought a book and I've looked online at things, but I do wish I had another woman to ask when I have questions.

I spend most of my time with Hank, while Lane works outside. He bought some land, and we've looked at plans for, not just a house, but also a barn. He said we can have animals, and I've never had a pet. Hank likes dogs, so maybe we can pick one we both would enjoy.

I've let my hair go a little wild and haven't straightened it since I left Chicago, but I straightened it tonight, and it still feels as soft as it did the last time I straightened it. I got a trim when we went to the city, but Lane said there's a lady in town that can do my hair.

The door opened and my handsome husband stepped inside. "Woah!" He stopped in his tracks and a huge smile rose upon his face. "That dress might fit a little too good." He said.

"Does it look too tight?" I panicked.

"It's perfect, it's just hard to believe someone so beautiful married me." He said, then wrapped his arms around me.

"You're kinda handsome, Lane." I laughed. He had no idea how gorgeous he is and how much I love him.

"Kinda?" He asked, and scrunched his nose.

I smiled up at him. "If I tell you just how handsome you are, you'll get a big ego," I said.

"Me? Never." He said, and I laughed.

"Anyway, is your dad ready?" I asked.

"He's downstairs waiting." He said.

"We better go," I said as he ran his hand through my hair.

"I swear it's like silk." He said, then pulled me in close enough to feel what's hard against my stomach.

"Show off," I said, and he frowned.

"It's getting lonely." He pouted.

"These walls are like paper," I said.

"We have to get that house built soon. We can't wait a year to have sex." He said.

"We have sex," I said.

"Yeah, but it's quiet sex. I want to hear you scream again." He whispered in my ear, and I shivered.

"You do have a new truck to break in," I said, and his eyes grew like saucers.

"Now you're thinking." He said before he kissed me.

I finally got him to leave, and Hank was actually excited about the party. I don't think Lane is as excited. He's told me how much he hates all the questions, and I hate it too. I haven't really had to face many people with questions, except his friend Kyle.

Now I will finally know the family I married into, and I'm very nervous. We haven't seen Megan since she left upset, and we've never met her husband. I have to wonder if that will be hard for Lane. He loves her more than he will admit, and I knew this before I agreed to come home with him.

He parked the truck and took a deep breath. "There's a lot of people here, Dad." He looked in his rearview mirror at his father.

"It's not every day a hometown hero rises from the dead," Hank said.

"What about you, Danica?" Lane asked.

I reached over and took his hand. "I'm okay," I said.

"You have to promise to tell me if you get overwhelmed." He said.

"This is your family, I'll be okay." I lied, I'm scared shitless.

"You're lying to me." He reminded me of his training with a funny look.

"There are no keeping secrets with your son," I said to Hank, and he just laughed.

"This has to be done sometime. Let's just get it over." I said.

"Wait, I'll help you out." Lane said, and jumped out of the truck. There are side steps, so it's not exactly hard. If Hank can do it, I can do it. We decided on a truck now, then a car in a few months. The truck is handy now for hauling stuff off the farm.

He held out his hand and helped me out, then he helped his father. I laughed when each offered me their arm. "These ladies are going to be so jealous. I have both Morgan men as my dates tonight." I teased.

"I can't wait to see what Flanders has to say about my beautiful daughter-in-law," Hank said.

"Wasn't he on the Simpsons?" I teased, and Lane laughed.

"Far from that religious guy, but he is a character." Lane said.

"He's an old bastard," Hank growled.

Lane laughed. "He's Dad's best friend."

The doors opened and a middle-aged woman ran out and nearly attacked my husband. She peppered kisses all over his face and he chuckled, but she cried.

"Are you okay and in one piece?" She asked as she looked him over.

"I'm fine. Aunt Janie, this is my wife, Danica." He said, and she turned toward me.

"My goodness, she's gorgeous." She said, then pulled me into a hug.

I hugged her back, but it was a little awkward.

She pulled back and looked me over. "Sweetheart, there's a lot of family in there waiting to meet you." She said, then turned to Lane.

"Your grandmother is bursting at the seams. It was so hard not to just visit the farm, but we understand you needed some time with your father. The family is waiting in the front room so that they can see you first." She said.

"Thanks for putting everything together." Lane said.

"It was no problem, I just hope it isn't too much." She said.

"It'll be fine." He said, and I know he's not as excited as she probably thinks. He wants to see family, but the townspeople might be just a little too much.