Memories

Lane

The moment I felt her touch my arm, memories came back and hit me like a brick wall.

The way she looked as we raced our horses to the pond, prom, the times we went fishing, and making love all night in the McHenry hunting cabin. All our hopes, dreams, and promises came to the surface as I looked down at her. I gave her a nod and walked outside, because I don't know what to say.

She begged me to go to college instead of the Navy, but she knew being a Navy Seal was my dream. She cried and begged me not to leave.

She always stayed faithful to me, and when I proposed and she accepted, she was the happiest girl in the world. Megan loved me very deeply, and she is one of the kindest and most generous people I know.

Our wedding was planned and I was coming home when it happened. It was a year later before I got to look on social media and see how her life was going. She had taken my death very hard and worked her ass off taking care of my parents and building a memorial in my name.

A year after that, her engagement was announced to some man that came to town to run the bank. I checked her social media every chance I had and saw her wedding photos, the birth of the twins, and that she even went to D.C. every year to visit my grave.

I walked back in the house with the groceries, and she was sitting at the table with bottles of medications and one of those daily pillboxes.

I set the groceries on the counter. "He's taking a lot of medications," I said, and she didn't look up at me.

"Yeah, they have to be organized weekly in this container or he forgets some." She said, and I started putting groceries away.

"You can leave them out, and I could still cook for both of you." She offered as her baby started to cry, then the boys ran outside.

"No, you really don't have to go through the trouble," I said over her baby's cry. She looks beautiful with a baby in her arms.

"It really is no problem." She said as she reached in her bag and pulled out a bottle and started to feed her baby.

"I've got it covered," I said, and she nodded.

"How long will you be in town?" She asked.

"Well, I hope to settle here, but it depends.." I stopped.

When is it the right time to tell her about Danica?

"Depends on what?" She asked.

"My wife," I said, and saw her eyes go straight to my wedding band.

"Your wife?" Her voice broke.

"Yeah, we haven't made too many decisions yet," I said.

She looks confused. To everyone back home, I've only been found for a month. Not enough time for a wife with pregnancy symptoms.

"Is she here?" She looks nervous.

"Yes, she's resting upstairs," I said, and she took the bottle from the baby and lifted her to her shoulder and patted her back. She really seems to have the motherly touch.

"I'm confused, you've only been back to the states a few weeks. Is she foreign?" She sounds suspicious and pissed.

"Chicago," I said, and she looked at me strangely.

"You know I can't tell you where I've been or what all happened," I said, then went back to putting groceries away.

"How long have you been back, Lane?" She started feeding the baby again, and I'm trying to avoid looking at her.

"Long enough to have a wife," I said, then put the milk in the fridge.

"I just don't understand." She said.

I paused. "It's not for anyone to understand. All that needs to be known is that I'm alive and I'm home with my wife. I can't give any other explanation. Just know I had no way of telling anyone that I was alive." I said, then leaned against the counter and crossed my arms.

"I'm sorry, I just can't wrap my mind around everything. We buried you, we grieved you, and now you are here in this kitchen and I'm overwhelmed." She burped her baby again and is still wiping away stray tears.

"I'm very sorry, Megan," I said, and she put the baby in its seat.

"It's no longer my business." She said, then started organizing the pills again. "I'll finish this, then we should go." She said as her hands shake.

I walked over and put my hand on hers and she looked up at me with tears in her eyes.

"I really am sorry, Megan," I said again, and she just looked up at me.

"Sorry to interrupt." I heard Danica's voice and stood up.

"Hey, how was your nap?" I asked.

"I heard a baby cry and got curious. I'm sorry to have interrupted." She said again.

"Hey, you're fine," I said as I walked over and took her hand to prepare for the most fucked up moment in history.

"Danica, this is Megan and her baby. There are a couple more kids around here somewhere." I looked around and didn't even hear them. "Megan, this is my wife, Danica," I said, and Megan just sat there in shock.

"I can go back upstairs, I didn't realize...well, I'll let you have your privacy." She said, and tried to let go of my hand, but I squeezed it.

"You're fine, please stay," I said.

I don't want Danica to ever think she isn't the most important person in the room to me. I once loved Megan, but it's nothing compared to how I feel for my pregnant wife.

"It's very nice to meet you. Lane has told me wonderful things about you." Danica said, but Megan just sat there for a moment staring at Danica.

"Okay, well, maybe I should give you some time. I'm fine Lane, and I think I'll take a shower before I start cooking." She said, and pulled her hand out of mine.

"I'll be up in a few," I said, and she turned and walked away.