A Night Out

Dash

I thought about what she said for a few days, and our week is almost up. So, I talked to Sal and he said it's more than fine to take Danica out for dinner. I made reservations at the classiest place in town, then told her to be ready at six.

My heart broke when I got back to the apartment. Nobody should be this excited for a simple dinner. Her eyes are lit up and it was the first thing I noticed, then it was the dress. It is actually quite conservative, but at the same time sexy as hell. Everything she wears flatters her figure, which does nothing to help my struggles. She's too damn beautiful for her own good.

"Do you like it?" She asked and made a complete turnaround. I whistled, and she blushed.

"You make it beautiful. Are you ready?" I asked, and she grabbed her clutch.

"I've been ready for a long time." She said with a huge smile on her face.

I held her hand as we walked out the door and made it to the waiting car. A few of Sal's men are driving us. I opened the door for her and she got in first, then I slid in beside her where she never let go of my hand. I have to wonder if she's scared just a little.

"Are you okay?" I asked, and she nodded with a smile on her face. She watched out the window, and the closer we came to the city, the more she watched her surroundings.

While she watched with a smile on her face, I watched her with amazement. Something people do every day and not think twice about, makes this girl happier than I've ever seen anyone. I felt almost disappointed when we pulled up in front of the restaurant. I was enjoying the scenery far too much and I have to get my shit together.

She didn't let go of my hand when we got out of the car. She paused and took a look at the building.

"I hope this is okay," I said, and she looked up at me.

"Are you kidding? This is wonderful." She gave me a reassuring squeeze of the hand.

We went inside and I gave the hostess the name Winters, which I made the reservation under. She led us to our table and Danica is still smiling ear to ear.

"What should we eat?" She asked as she picked up the menu.

"Anything you want tonight," I said, and watched as she bit her bottom lip as she scanned the menu.

She glanced up at me. "What?" She smiled.

"You're cute," I said.

"Cute? I really wasn't going for cute." She said, then looked down at her menu, but I pushed it down.

"You're stunning, but I enjoy watching you with these firsts," I said.

She rolled her eyes. "You may have a hard time convincing me of that, Dash." She said, then looked back down at her menu.

"What are you going to order?" She asked, but I haven't even looked at the menu.

"I'm not sure," I said as I picked up the menu.

"Just order me whatever you're having, but could we have wine?" She asked.

I looked up at her and smiled. "It's anything you want tonight," I said.

Our waitress finally came and took our drink orders, but we went ahead and ordered lobster and wine.

We laughed as we both tried to eat our lobster and told stories about our childhood. For just a few moments, I forgot I was Dash, instead I was Lane Morgan from Oklahoma. The real me, not the man who has killed men or the one buried in Arlington Cemetery. The one that once enjoyed life and found joy in the small things.

I paid for our check, then we decided to take a walk. "There are so many people out after dark." She said.

"It'll quiet down soon enough," I said, and she reached for my hand and held it. I'm on guard after getting a tip earlier to stay aware.

"It even smells different here." She said.

"It's the city, I've never cared much for it," I said.

"If you could live anywhere, what place would you choose?" She asked, and it was an easy answer.

"Out west where I could settle down on a nice spread of land," I said.

"Where would you go?" I asked.

She smiled. "I want to visit France and maybe even Greece. Then, go somewhere that I can be me without people watching my every move." She smiled, then looked up at the sky.

"I want to see the stars and have a dog. Maybe even a cat, but still get to see the world. Somewhere I can have children and see what it's like to truly be loved." She said.

I stopped walking. "It doesn't take children to know what it's like to be loved. Your brother loves you." I said.

She shook her head. "Not unconditionally. I'm sure my parents love me in their own way, but they will sacrifice anything for power." She said, then stopped walking.

"What?" I stopped with her.

"Do you hear that?" She asked as a smile formed on her face.

"Yes, there's music," I said, and her face lit up.

"Can we go?" She looked eager.

"Sure," I said, and we started walking again as her father's men followed in the car. It's a jazz bar, and usually I wouldn't care for such a place, but right now, I'd take this girl anywhere.

All night men have turned heads to see this girl a little better. She's gorgeous, so I can't blame them.

I ordered her Peach Schnapps and scotch for myself, then we found a booth.

"I can feel the music." She said with excitement.

I just watched as she swayed to the music and shut her eyes.

"Come on." I reached for her hand.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

"Let's dance." I said, then pulled her out to the dancefloor.