Leather

Danica

"I better not have just heard that from you." Hank looked down at Megan.

"It's alright, Dad." Lane said.

"Megan, you're better than this, and maybe we should have a little talk," Hank said.

"You're right, I shouldn't have said anything," Megan said.

"It's okay, I can understand why she would ask," I said.

"It was inappropriate," Megan said.

"Damn right it was inappropriate," Hank said.

"I'm right around nine weeks pregnant. We got pregnant soon after we got married and.." Lane cut me off.

"You don't owe her details. That's my baby, and I'm sure it upsets her, but that's not your fault." He looked at Megan.

"I've been in the states for most of the time I was missing." He said, and she stood.

"I believe you, and I'm sorry." She said.

"It's..." Lane cut me off.

"It's one thing to take it out on me.." I cut Lane off.

"I can talk for myself!" I yelled, and everyone froze and looked at me.

I looked at Megan. "This is my husbands and my baby. You have yours and you need to worry about them. It's one thing to cry to my husband, and I totally understand you're hurting, but you will not try to make my child a bastard!" I yelled at the woman.

"I shouldn't have said anything. I'll go now." She started putting her baby in its seat.

"You two..out!" I pointed at them and they looked at each other.

"Now!" I said, and they walked away. Lane winked at me, that asshole.

"It doesn't have to be this way," I said as I crossed my arms.

"How do you want it to be?" She asked.

"I'd like to be the only woman my husband has ever loved, but that's not the case. He loved you, but now he loves me, and I'm giving him this baby. That baby of yours belongs to another man, along with those other two boys. They aren't Lanes, his is right here inside me, and we are his family now. I get that you're hurt, but you crossed a line. You're welcome in our lives, but you've got to get yourself together. Your job is to be their mom, go do that and go fix yourself. Like it or not, Lane is my husband. As cruel as it is, you have to accept it." I said.

"Easy for you to say." She said.

"It's not easy knowing the only man that has ever loved me, loves you too. I know that doesn't compare to what you experienced, but we can't take the past away. From now on, there will be no more alone time with my husband, go have alone time with yours. This isn't healthy for anyone." I said.

"You can't make that decision for him." She said.

"I'm only saying what he's been trying to tell you," I said very calmly.

She put the baby bottle in the bag and picked up the baby seat.

"I don't think he will like the way you're talking to me." She said as she went to walk away.

"That's fine, I am more than happy to try to make things work so you don't have to leave their lives. We just need some boundaries." I said, and she stopped.

"You'll make these boundaries?" She asked.

I shook my head. "I think Lane already made it clear," I said. She turned to look at me.

"I don't have to like you." She said.

"No, you don't, but you also don't know me. If you want to see Hank and Lane, you'll have to see me, and you could make things a lot easier by giving me a chance." I said.

She turned from me and called for her boys. Lane was behind me in an instant, and I guess he was listening.

"I'm sorry if I was too tough on her," I said, and he rubbed my shoulders.

"It's fine, maybe that's what she needed. Hell, you offered friendship, and that's more than I would have expected." He said.

"Life's been cruel to her," I said.

"She has everything she ever wanted." He said.

I turned. "Just not the man she loves," I said, and he put his arms around me.

"She loves her husband. I saw it in the pictures, and whenever I reminded her of him, I could see her reaction. She's just really confused." He said.

"I wouldn't trade places with her. What she experienced is far worse than anything I have, because I can't lose you that way. I can't imagine how cruel that kind of grief would be, I feel for her." I said.

"I'm glad you understand, but I want you to worry about yourself right now. Are you alright?" He asked.

"I am, but what about you? That can't be easy for you either." I said.

"No, it's not, but Dad tells me she married a good man and she will be okay. It has to be confusing." He said.

"Do you regret it, I mean, ever leaving and wish it was her you married?" I asked.

He looked down at me. "I regret the pain I caused and not being able to say goodbye to my mom, but I'll never regret being led to you." He said, then kissed me.