A New Man

Lane

A doctor walked out wearing scrubs. "Are you Mr. Morgan?" He asked, and I stood.

"Yes, that's me," I said.

He smiled. "Congratulations, your wife and son are doing great." He said.

"A son?" I could feel the relief and tears of joy.

"Yes, he's very healthy at six pounds nine ounces, he is absolutely perfect. Your wife is still sleeping from the anesthesia, but you're more than welcome to come see your son." He said, and I looked back at Kyle and Cara, just before they both hugged and congratulated me.

I nervously followed the doctor. I've never been so nervous when meeting anyone. I'm so relieved my wife will recover and our son is doing so great.

"We put them in the same room for you. We couldn't get her to calm down, so we chose anesthesia instead of an epidural, unfortunately, she also missed his birth." He said.

He held the door open, and I could see my beautiful sleeping angel with a little crib on wheels. A nurse is writing something in her chart. I could hear the tiny whimpers of an infant and I was torn who to go see first.

"You can sit by her, and I'll put your son in your arms." The nurse offered.

"Thank you, how is she?" I asked before I kissed her head, then sat next to her in a chair.

"Her vitals are good and she's just resting. She should wake soon." The nurse said, and I gulped when she picked up our baby wrapped tightly in little blankets.

"I'll just lay him in your arms, but just make sure you're always supporting his head." She said as the newest love of my life was gently placed in my arms. I took a sharp breath as I finally saw his tiny little fingers and his adorable little face.

"He's so tiny," I said, and she stood next to me looking down at my son.

"He's actually at a great weight for being early, and she must have taken very good care of herself because he's very strong." She said as he wrapped his little hand around my finger.

"Hey there little man," I whispered, then lifted him to kiss his little head.

"He had a head of black fuzzy hair, he's so adorable." She said. I lifted his little hat to see for myself.

I looked up at both the doctor and the nurse. "Thank you," I said.

"It was our pleasure. You'll have some nurses in and out to check on you, but he already had about an ounce of formula." The doctor said, before they quietly left the room.

My little guy is awake and squirming when I looked at Danica. "I can't wait until you wake up and see him. You did such a great job, and I'm so sorry for what happened." I said, then reached for her hand.

"We didn't settle on his name yet, so I'll just call him my little man until you choose his name," I said.

I looked back down at my son and the love I feel for both of them is almost overwhelming. My chests tightened and I'm just blown away by how perfect he is in my arms. His eyes are blue, a dark blue, but I'm sure they'll lighten up. His hair is black, just like his mothers, and his little cheeks are a bit on the chubby side.

My joy turned to anger for just a moment when I thought about what happened. I saw nothing but red, but pushed that way down deep and let my joy take over. I looked up at Danica and saw a cast on her arm and IV's in her hand. Her belly, of course, isn't flat yet, and her face is just a little puffy. She's still gorgeous even after major surgery.

She started to stir, so I squeezed her hand. "I'm here, it's okay to wake up," I said, and her eyes fluttered open, then closed again.

"It's just you, me, and our son," I said, and her eyes fluttered again before opening, and a tiny smiled formed on her face.

"Hi," I whispered as I held our son in one arm and ran my other hand through my wife's hair.

"Hi." She whispered back.

"We have a son, and he's perfect," I said, and her eyes moved to my other arm.

"I'll hold him up so you can see him better," I said before I held him up, and she smiled.

"He's perfect." She whispered through her grogginess.

"If you need to sleep, it's okay. I'm just getting to know our little man." I said as her eyes slowly shut and she fell back asleep.

I was dying to give my son a good look, so I got up and laid him down and unwrapped him to see his little body. He's pink with skinny little legs and a cord hanging from his belly button.

"Yep, I knew you would look like your mommy and be the most handsome boy ever," I said as he kicked his feet.

The nurse came back in and showed me how to change his diaper and wrap him back up in his little blanket. She also put him in a little white shirt so he is nice and warm. Danica slept for a long while. I fed our son a tiny little bottle, then the nurse showed me how to burp him.

My heart is heavy for what happened to the most important people in my world, but I'm also on cloud nine. I didn't know I could love anyone as much as I love his mother, but I fell hard for this little man the moment the nurse laid him in my arms.