Chapter 11

Demi's POV

After a while of not speaking about the incident from earlier, I decided that we needed to talk about it. The man didn't come up in the records to be her father, but he had to have known him. "Emma, we need to talk about what happened earlier." Emma hadn't talked all day, but she kept very close to me, and I didn't take my eyes off her for a second. She nodded her head, and I sat down on the couch, scooting her up onto my lap. "Who was that?" She shrugged her shoulders, but didn't say anything. "Have you ever seen him before?" She shook her head. I didn't know if she was telling the truth, or if she was scared to tell me. "Sweetie, I need you to tell me the truth so we can take care of it properly."

"I don't know who he was. I hadn't ever seen him in my life." She told me. It sounded genuine enough, so I concluded that she was telling the truth.

"If I let you listen to a voice, can you tell me if it's your dad or not?" She nodded her head, and I gave her my phone, letting her listen to the voice mail from earlier. Once she heard the voice, her face lost all of its color, so I knew she had heard it before. "Who is that?" I asked her.

She shrugged her shoulder before answering. "I don't know who he is, but I've heard his voice."

"That's not your dad?" She shook her head. "When did you hear that voice?"

"He talked to me on the phone a lot. He was one of dad's friends I think."

"What did he talk to you about?"

"He said we were going to have fun when I got older, but I don't know what he meant. I had never met him, though."

I nodded in understanding. I think I know what he was talking about, and it scared me. "Do you know his name?" She nodded, but didn't say anything. I waited a minute before asking, "Can you tell me his name?" She shook her head. "Why not?"

"Because I'm not supposed to." She said without looking up from her hands on her lap.

"Emma, nothing will happen. Do you trust me?" She nodded her head. "So can you tell me his name?"

"Rob." I nodded. That was the name of the man from earlier.

"Okay, well now Rob is in jail, and he or your dad can't hurt you. Is there anyone else I should know about?" She shook her head. "Tell me the truth."

She looked up at me. "There's no one else, I promise."

"Okay." I said before pulling her into a tight hug. "God, I was so scared. You'd tell me if you notice anything weird, right?" I felt her nod. "Promise?" She nodded again, and we sat like that for a while. She ended up falling asleep in my arms. I needed to make dinner, but I didn't want to wake her up. I waited until my stomach started to hurt from hunger, then I picked her up and set her on the couch. Instantly, she woke up. "Want to help me make dinner?" I asked, and she nodded. We made chicken and macaroni and cheese. she loved stirring the cheese into the noodles.

By the time we finished eating, it was time for us to go to bed. We had an interview to go, and our flight was in the morning. After brushing our teeth and changing into our pajamas, I started to tuck her into bed. She kept staring at her window. "Nothing will come in," I told her, but she didn't respond. "Are you going to sleep, or stare at the window all night?" Again, she kept her eyes on the closed and locked window. "Do you want to sleep with me tonight?" Immediately, she nodded her head, and I picked her up, carrying her to my room and setting her under the covers. I climbed in, and she snuggled up close to me. I stroked her hair until my eyes couldn't stay open anymore, and I fell asleep.