Chapter 32

Demi's POV

"Okay, Emma, how about a picture before you go in?" I asked.

"Okay," she responded, waiting for me to take the picture.

I took it and posted it. "My sweet girl's going into her first round of chemo."

I instantly received many amazing comments on how much people are praying. I love my Lovatics. They took Emma back, and I waited in the lobby for a while. My family showed up just moments after Emma went back. "You just missed her," I said, greeting my family. We all waited together until the doctor said we could see Emma. "How's my baby?" I asked with a smile. Emma smiled at me, but didn't say anything. She seemed so worn out. Her smile grew as she saw Selena, my mom, and my sisters. I noticed the food sitting by her bed. "Do you want to try to eat something?" I asked.

She shook her head. "I'm not hungry."

"But can we try? We need to keep your strength up, and you weren't allowed to eat before the procedure this morning," I explained. She sighed and nodded. I knew she didn't feel good, and it was breaking my heart to see her like this. I could feel the weight of sorrow in my family, as well. I was so happy they were here now. We all talked while Emma ate. She wasn't in the mood for talking, so she just listened while eating. All day, I sat with her. Later tonight, they were going to do another round of chemo. It scared me, all of this coming so fast and all at once. I talked to Emma about how strong she was, and how happy I was to have her. I always made sure to tell her that I loved her whenever I needed to go out of the room for something. I never knew how much time was left. I savored every moment, and prayed every second I had with her that she will over come this. I needed her in my life. Without her, I don't know what will happen. I tried to convince myself that she was going to live, but I was never one hundred percent sure. While waiting in the lobby during Emma's second round of chemo, it seemed like I was waiting longer than the first time. I didn't know why that was. It might have just all been in my head. Even though my family was there, it still was a long and painful wait. Selena had to go home, as she had work to do tomorrow. She made sure to tell Emma goodbye before leaving.

"Lovato," a nurse called, as she had done before. I stood up with my family and walked back to Emma's room. It was late, and she needed to sleep, but I didn't want to leave her. I talked with her for a while and got her to eat something. My family decided to go back home and come back in the morning. I was scared as I watched Emma drift off to sleep. She will wake up. She will wake up. I reminded myself that over and over again. I fell asleep of the chair in her room. It wasn't a very good sleep, only thirty minutes at a time, with an hour or two awake in between. I wasn't worried about myself, though. It was a good thing. I needed to be aware if Emma needed me. The whole night, her heart beat remained steady, which was a good thing. I was the first person she saw when her eyes opened in the morning. My family came late in the morning.

"Demi, have you eaten anything since you've been here?" My mom asked. I looked down without giving her an answer. "It's been two days."

I shrugged. "I'm fine, mom."

"No, you're not. You need to go to a hotel, eat, shower, get some actual sleep."

"I can't leave Emma here alone."

"We'll be here."

"But I want to be here, too. What if something happens?"

My mom kissed the top on my forehead. "Nothing will happen while you're gone. It'll be okay. You need to take care of yourself if you are to take care of Emma. Be strong. Show her how strong you are. She will be strong in return."

I nodded and went to Emma's room. "I'll be back in a bit, okay?" Emma nodded. "Be good for your grandma and aunts. Make sure you eat if they tell you to." She nodded again. "I gave her a huge hug and covered her face in kisses. I weak giggle came out from her as I did so. "I love you, baby. You'll be okay."

"Promise?" She asked. I didn't say anything, just nodded my head. I waited until I was out of her room to let a few tears escape from my eyes. I called a cab and was taken to a nearby hotel. We were no where near home, so I couldn't go there. I booked a room for just one night, even though I probably wouldn't be there for more than I needed to. I was going to rest, then I was going back to the hospital. I wasn't going to leave my baby over night. I ate a little something, but I really didn't have an appetite. I slept out of exhaustion, not out of choice. I set my alarm, making sure that I wouldn't stay at the hotel for too long. As I slept, I had dreams, flashbacks actually, of Emma. The greatest memories. My mind always went back to the very first day. I walked over to her, and she ran away from me, telling me I shouldn't waste my time. All of the time I have spent with her is anything but wasted. These past months had been the best out of my whole life. I needed more like them. Emma couldn't leave me with just my memories. There were far too few of them.

I have free time! I have more theatre business next weekend, so I don't know if I'll update then, so here you go