Chapter 25

Kira held on tightly to the blue dragon as she darted through the water like a knife. The vampire's arms were wrapped tightly around her neck. Not enough to choke her or cause any kind of discomfort, but enough to make sure she would not be left behind any time soon.

The force of the water crashing against her face and shoulders proved that Camelia was certainly much faster than she ever expected. She was heading down and weaving through the buildings and rubble faster than even Kira was able to see. She was barely able to look out at the decemated landscape, only getting quick glances as Camelia paused for a moment like she was making sure she was going in the right direction.

The dragon bobbed and weaved through the crumbling ruins, effortlessly dodging the shadow dragons that seemed to be searching the ruins for anything of value.

Camelia moved, quickly latching onto the side of one of the buildings and jostling Kira roughly, however the vampire remained still and silent as the dragon peeked her head around the corner with the help of her long neck. The frills around her head tilted and stretched a bit as she watched a large group of shadow dragons move across the ocean floor below them. She didn't want to risk alerting such a large group only to greatly limit the available time she had to search for her brother's necklace.

Her claws dug into the stone wall she was attached to, her pink eyes dialating as they tried to suck up all the light around them to see through the darkness below. There were still blue and green flames lit inside the buildings, as well as bioluminecent plant life attached to some of the rubble lighting most of the way, but there were many sections of complete darkness around them. So much so that even Kira was nervous.

Don't speak aloud, I'm able to hear and send you my thoughts. But how are you able to find your way through some of this darkness? I know dragons have good sight in the dark, but they don't have perfect night vision. Kira called to her.

Camelia's head snapped back to look at Kira over her shoulder before returning her head to watching the shadow dragons continue on their way. I guess I can sense where things are through the water. I can sense living things in a certain distance of me, and I can taste certain materials on the water's currents. Even sound bounces back at me and echoes around me.

I suppose you would be designed to be able to find your way in complete darkness. It simply interests me how well adapted you are for hunting in the dark waters. Kira noted with a shrug. You're able to see thermal heat like a shark and echolocation like a dolphin.

You sound like a human trying to teach me about science. Camelia retorted, glancing at the vampire with only her eyes as she stared down into the abyss.

My sister spent a lot of time learning about things in the Wizard's Tower. They have many books on human world sciences. Kira offered. Perhaps the twins will take you there at some point. I'm not sure if Akiya would want to go back to the human world just to go to a library.

I get the feeling she cares little for books.

She seemed to know her mythology very well, at least from the human world's standpoint. Perhaps you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised?

I guess we'll have to wait and see. The sooner we get my brother's necklace the sooner we can return to them. Camelia seemed to find that the dragons were gone as she pushed off the building and continued on her way. The destruction began to look older, like this part of the city had already been abandoned. Most of the lights were out leaving the only source of light the plant life. Thankfully though, between Camelia's senses and Kira's ability to see in the pitch black darkness, they were able to avoid any other patrols.