Chapter 14

It's been about 3 months since I've established living in the house with Charles. I would go to school and come back home and at the end of the day make us dinner. Ms. Gonales would still come over every day and on the weekends would make us dinner. I didn't agree with it at first but Charles agreed it was fitter for me to rest on those days until I finally agreed with him and did just that. Also, because I was a college student. Of course, I would still make a dessert here and there.

After 3 months of being here, I noticed that Charles isn't as bad as he seemed at first. We would usually talk during dinner and it became a routine to ask each other how our day went. He was still cold and I just learned to not bother him with very personal questions. I knew it would probably make him upset since it's not like we really are a couple anyways.

I was listening to some music while doing an essay when the door had swung. I was startled but quick to react. I paused the music playing on my laptop and looked up to see the one and only, Charles Storm.

He looked irritated as his eyes settled on me. I was still confused as to why he was here in the first place and most importantly why that he didn't knock? I distractedly remembered what I was wearing. I had on a fitted crop tank top with grey short jersey pants. It wasn't too revealing but I was still self-conscious. I've never let a man see me with my stomach or leg exposed before.

"Can I help you?" I asked, normally.

He looked at my posture and then what I was wearing. Somehow his face managed to lessen a little. "My friend and his girlfriend are coming for dinner, I just wanted to let you know we would have company."

"That sounds great," I replied, staring at him hoping he'd divert his eyes back on me.

He finally looked back up. Either he knew he got caught red-handed staring at me and didn't care because he looked normal as if it didn't happen. "Make sure you get ready before 10." He informed.

I shook my head, understanding and he closed the door behind him. It was the first time since he was having friends over and also I was surprised that he agreed to invite his friend. I thought he didn't tell anyone about us but I must have been mistaken.

I finished up on today with homework and got up to quickly stretch and went straight to the bathroom to take a quick shower. Once I got out, I went into the closet and picked out something to wear. I haven't done much shopping after last time with Cassandra so I decided to wear the clothes she bought for me. I picked out a black long-sleeved fitted shirt with high raised jeans. I finished the look with black low boots.

After I went downstairs into the kitchen. Ms. Gonales was already done cooking her roast chicken and had set everything down on the table. She was smiling when she saw me. "You look, beautiful darling! Mr. Storms's eyes will be on you the whole time!" She teased.

I smiled and gave her an astonishing look. I didn't want Charles to look at me I was just changing because he said so. She ignored how shocked I was and took it as if I was nervous. I decided to pick the roast chicken and set it on the table for us.

I came back into the kitchen and heard the door knocking. I was going to the door when I saw Charles pass by me and went for it. I was surprised that he was downstairs this whole time.

The door swung open and as soon as it was enlarged, Charles gave the dude in front of him, a hug and both gave a pat on the back. The girl next to them was admiring their friendship. She was really pretty and looked like an actress. She had dark brown hair and beautiful hazel eyes that matched her fair skin. Her face was radiant and clear and she was slim but petite.

She noticed me after a couple of seconds and waved at me while smiling. Her lips were wide as if she was trying too much to smile. I quickly replied back with a wave and smile of my own.

The guys were done hugging and doing their silent talk and Charles finally let them in. The guy was striking. He noticed me at first glance and smiles and quickly draws into a hug. He had the look of a fun and relaxed person. His hair was curly and dark and his eyes were brown.

He let go of me and finally introduces himself. "Hi, my name's Caden and I'm the best friend of this dumbass." He chuckled. I gave a small smile. "Surely he's been treating you right?" He probed.

I smiled. "Yes," I replied. I wasn't technically wrong. Charles and I have been talking every day now and it wasn't as awkward as we first met.

"This is my girlfriend, Olivia." He pointed me to the direction of her and I smiled at her once again.

Charles stepped towards me and cradled me in his bulky arm. I looked up at him and he caught me looking. "This is Maria. My wife." He said in a steady voice. But the words from his mouth seemed foreign.

"It's nice to meet both of you. Although, Charles hasn't told me much about you." I pouted. Caden was upset to hear this.

"What? his own best friend?" Caden asked in a whiny voice.

I shook my head and confirmed. Charles didn't say anything but he was still holding on to me. His cologne smelled pleasing and strong. It comforted me to uncanniest ways.

"You two look nervous, Let's go eat and maybe it can help ease yourself." I heard Olivia say.

We all went into the dining room and sat in a chair. The table was filled with fruit and dessert with salad. I looked and was ready to devour since it's been hours since I last ate.

Olivia and I were eating silently while Charles and Caden were chatting about all sorts of things. Charles made Caden stopped talking about he betrayed him and they began talking about their business. Olivia would join in here and there and I loved how Caden confided in her if he forgot something in one of his stories. They worked so well together. I only just listened and ate and would sometimes glance at Charles only to have his eyes on me already. I felt so intimidated by him. Was it something I said or didn't? I chose to ignore it and made the assumption that he wanted me gone already.

"Have you two gone on a honeymoon yet?" I heard Caden ask.

I looked at him and realized he was waiting for one of us to answer. "No, not yet," I answered.

"What? At least tell me you guys did it?" Caden asked again.

"Caden!" I heard Olivia exclaim. My cheeks were red beet and I quickly tried hard to compose my burning cheeks.

"What? It was just a simple question. The least I should know since he didn't even tell me he had a girlfriend." Caden replied and giving a cold glare to Charles.

Charles cleared his throat and gave his friend a sharp glare. Caden stopped looking at him and turned to look back at me. "Sorry for my noisy question, Maria." He said apologetically.

"It's okay." I replied back. I was still trying to compose myself and finished eating. Until I realized I was already done. I sighed and chose to get the dessert which was chocolate mousse. I was reaching towards the middle to grab it but the mousse was too far. I sighed again. I was about to quit when I noticed a hand grabbed it and handed it to me.

I looked at the face and still gaped at it. "Thank you." I gave him a quick nod.

"Next time, just ask." I heard him say quietly. I nodded my heard unknowingly.

Caden was still asking me questions like how many siblings did I have and what I did for a living. Once I told him I was a college student, he was shocked. "You don't seem like it." He stated. "Although, you're very young and matured." He quickly interjected.

I laughed and kindly took the compliment. Olivia was only a year apart from me and she had just finished college. She was now gradually becoming a therapist.

If you liked this Chapter, a Vote and Comment! Thank you :)