Chapter 20

I looked at him confused. His sneeze sounded firm but cute at the same time. A wide smile was plastered on my face. "Bless you." 

He noticed me smiling and he said a slight 'thank you.' After he responded to my question and we went back into the car. Turns out he wasn't changing.  

He didn't talk through most of the ride except for sneezing a few times. It was constant and I asked him if he was alright and he lightly shrugged it off. 

I was still worried even as we got out of the car and was met with a beautiful manor. 

He sneezed another while we walked in. "Are you sure you're alright?" Worry was written all over my face. He looked almost pale and his nose red, tired from the constant sneeze. "If you're not feeling up to it we can just go." I try convincing him. 

He stopped walking for a minute and looked at me. "Does it look like I'm dying?" I stuttered back from his words.  "Answer me." He looked at me icily, his eyes a different dark shade of color. 

"No, but-" He stopped me before I could say anything. 

"Then I'd advise you to stop worrying about my health." He began moving his feet and going up the stairs. I was kind of in hock but expected this behavior from him anyways. I came back from my consciousness and signal my feet to walk. 

We made it into the ballroom I stared at it in awe. The room was neatly decorative and its colors were ambient. I enjoyed the soothing music as it played in the background. A lot of people were elders and some around my and Charles's age. There were mainly a lot of men who were in their business suits and had the aurora of being all business. Nonetheless, everyone had a date or a partner by their side. 

I felt misplaced from everything. The place was a beige color and had golden traces to match the color. The place was all glowing and spectacular. Everyone was placed perfectly with it. The tables were neatly placed and servers handing out food for the pleasure of others. No matter how much the dress had cost and how I looked right now, I was still a subtle, shy girl. 

I turned to look at Charles and he looked compose and in place with all of this. Though there were a few sniffs, I didn't want to be a mopping woman and worry about my problem with this auction night. It probably meant a lot to him anyways. 

Soon a couple came storming up to us. "Mr.Storm!" The lady had a floor of awe in her face as she went in for a hug. "Such a pleasure you could make it, darling." The women looked elegant and young. She looked like she didn't try much to have such a youthful face. She had the most daunting blue eyes that matched so perfectly with her golden-brown hair. 

The man who was next to her gave Charles a firm handshake while I just looked at their acknowledgments. 

Assuming they forgot someone, the lady looked at me and an even bigger smile approached her face. She gasped and come towards me with a grappling hug.  

"You must be the wife, Maria? I'm Marybelle" She was very mesmerized by my face. "And you're so gorgeous, I love it." She gushed. "Charles here, always had the taste for impeccable women, indeed." My cheeks were flushed by what I heard her say. Believe me, I was no saint and she didn't know half of the truth for what she said. I didn't want to say anything but I gave her a warm smile and thanked her. While complimenting her on her taste in house decor. She simply smiled with a generous look. 

"This is my husband, Hudson Freyes." She looked over her shoulder and I noticed him giving me a respectful nod. I replied with a smile and nodded back. "Thank you for making it, even though some of you don't look so well." She finished and I noticed she motioned her head to Charles. 

I looked at him and noticed he was still sneezing and blowing his nose on a piece of tissue. "I must admit, it has been a while since I'd seen him this sick." She chuckled. 

I can admit, it was the first time seeing him sick. He didn't seem like he had the symptoms of a cold but maybe he had an allergy reaction. That was the only thing I could pinpoint. But what could possibly give him this reaction?  

"Well I better go welcome the other guest, it was such a pleasure meeting you both, please enjoy the night." They soon left while we were just awkwardly standing. 

"Let's go find a table." I nodded and we walked up to one of the empty tables. He pulled a chair forward and I thought it would be for him but he turned to look at me and made a motion for me to sit. I wasn't used to him being such a gentleman that I was taken aback for a second. But I soon recovered and sat down giving him a meekly 'thank you.' 

For the night, I was left alone twice and had to make small talk with a few friends of Charles. Most of the people coming up to me and sometimes Charles would introduce them to me, nonetheless, it was enjoyable. The auction soon followed and I found out that the money they raised today would be for the kids who need help and homeless people who are trying to get a better life. Charles bought at least two paintings off of Marybelle and her husband. I didn't know he was such an art fan because he had reasonable good taste in the ones he picked out to buy.

Nobody stood a chance to the money he was willing to give. The thought made me smile cheekily upon him. He was still sneezing but not as much before.  

I would occasionally sneak a glance at him and noticed his eyes were red and matched his nose. I didn't like the look of them and I couldn't stand him looking this way. I finally thought it was best I confronted him outside the hall. 

He was just done with the last bidding when I tugged on his arm. He looked at me dazed and with questionable eyes. "We need to talk." I pointed to the direction of the hallway and he looked back at me and nodded. 

Walking with him was a hard task to do. He was walking almost like he was drunk. I sighed shaking my head. I couldn't tell if he had a drink tonight. 

We made it in the hallway and I looked at him with frightened eyes. He didn't look fine and he could only hold so long of his facade.  "Are you alright?" I finally spoke. 

"I'm fine, stop worrying about me." He answered. His voice was sharp that it startled me a little. 

"Maybe we should go home." I told him. He looked at me with angry eyes. 

"Why do you always have to babysat me. I told you I'm fine." He relinquished. A few sneezes coming out of him again. 

I felt anger at his words but composed myself. "You should appreciate it because I don't see anyone else doing it. And you look like you're close to falling down." I examined him closer. He seemed to finally comprehend the situation and his head went low. 

He nodded and we were about to go when Mrs. Freyes approached us and gave me a lovely smile "It was a pleasure meeting you. I know you'll make Charles happy." She smiled. I didn't have much to say but grin back at her. 

Charles seemed contented. His arm slid to the back of my waist. I was a little surprised but didn't show it. "Are you ready to leave?" He probed.  I nodded and we turned to Marybelle. She was grinning. 

"It was nice seeing you Charles, I'll see you both at the family gatherings." He nodded and then she left. 

I escorted Charles out of the manor, knowing he was able to fully walk himself.