Chapter 17

I woke up and hit the alarm going off from my phone. It was Friday and I was glad the week had passed by fast. I finished my essay just in time last night and with a few other works that I forgot to do and didn't sleep until 1:30. I was already grumpy and irritated with my phone alarm.

I thought of an idea that if I were to quickly get ready, I could maybe have the driver bring me to a Dunkin Donut. I rapidly jumped up from my bed, which was a bad idea because it only made me feel dizzy after getting up on my two feet.

I finally managed to go into the bathroom and take a shower. I got out and looked for something nice to wear.

I made it downstairs and saw Mrs. Gonzales making breakfast. It was scrambled eggs with avocado on a toast. Ms. Gonzales has known me for over a month now and she has somehow managed to make the foods that I like to eat and on the right days. I cheerfully came to the counter and gave her my biggest smile and graced her. "Thank you, Ms.Gonzales," I exasperated.

She laughed humbly. "No problem, hon."

I checked the time on my phone and realized that I would be late if I stayed any longer. I quickly wrapped up my breakfast and bolted out the door, right before I said a quick bye to Mrs.Gonzales.

I got into the backseat and told the driver to make a detour at Dunkin'. He asked me what I wanted and I told him my drink and I rested silently as I ate the food Mary had cooked for me.

Fortunately, I got to school just in time.

______

School was finally done and I was exhausted. This essay was definitely worth it for staying up so late. I was waiting outside for my driver to get here as usual. I didn't see Emily today so I decided to text her and wonder if she was sick. I was on the phone when I heard honking. I didn't think it was for me so I continued to pay attention to my phone. But, the same person who was honking was now calling my name. The person sounded too familiar.

I snapped my head back up to look at the person who had called me. A hand was waving inside the pristine BMW car. I noticed the car looked exactly like Charles but he wouldn't pick me here. I thought.

I decided to move a couple of steps. I was too curious to know if it was truly him, though I did have a hunch it was. I began to notice the person appear more clearly. It was Charles. I was more surprised to see him here. How'd he even know where my college was?

I scurried to the car and got in. I was still comprehending why he was even here. I cleared my throat.

"Would you like some water?" He questioned. He had a water bottle in his hand, towards me.

I shook my head. "Why're you picking me up today?" I mumbled.

He put the water bottle back in a holder and turned to look at me as he stopped for a red light. "We're going to get you a dress." He replied nonchalantly.

I was shocked. Did I miss something? Were we going somewhere important? "For what?" I asked.

"My parent's friends invited us to go to his art auction tomorrow night. He insisted on bringing you with me." He replied as he averted his eyes back on the ride and continued to drive.

"I've never been to an auction." I answered dumbly.

"You also don't have a dress for it." He replied casually.