chapter {12}

"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. "

ONYX'S POV

I sat in the court room a little longer gripping the letter. My mind could not grasp the fact that an innocent person was going to be executed. I grimaced. Okay maybe not 100% a saint but close enough.

"Miss?" I turned my attention to the grandmotherly cleaning lady.

"Yes?" I responded in my most authoritative voice.

"The halls need cleaning and I'm sorry to inform you but you can no longer be here." She gave me an apologetic smile but gestured to her cleaning supplies.

I nodded. "Of course." I got up and quickly scurried out of the court room.

***
I drove back home and decided to spend the rest of my day in the library. You know, being intellectual and such. Oh and it's about time that I spend some quality time with my studies as depressing as it is.

ZAYN'S POV

October 10, it was time for a health checkup. I sat up from my cell and paced back and forth. They did it by last name and Malik was more or less in the middle. I hoped to God that I got one of those young nurses instead of those old smelly hags.

"Malik." I heard my guard's voice, Alexander, echoing down the dark musty corridor. With the torch light, I could also make out his tall muscular figure.

I reluctantly waited for him to open the door. "Hey Alec." He gave me a nod and we walked to the clinic.

Alec was one of the nicer guards in the prison and I was so lucky to have him.
He never punished the people he was supposedly guarding. He seemed such a misfit in prison. He wasn't mean or aggressive. Yeah he had such a towering big bulky frame but that's it. Looks can be deceiving. He was really kind and quite. He had a passion for cooking and dance.

He would always manage to sneak in extra portions or sweet delicacies such as chocolate. Man I would so kill for a chocolate bar right now. Now I wasn't saying prison food was bad, quite the contrary to the popular belief. We were fed just enough to keep us alive.

Anyways, we finally reached the dreaded place and I nervously bounced my knee.

"Zayn Malik?" I snapped my head up looking for the unfamiliar voice when I met bright intelligent blue eyes. I felt my mouth instantly get parched like rough sand paper.

My nurse who was supposedly going to exam me was beautiful. She had long blond hair that was put up in a bun and long luscious heavily made up eyes.

"Yeah that's me." I hoarsely called out. I saw Alec send me a smirk and I cleared my throat.

The young nurse turned to Alec and said, "I have it from here." He nodded and knowing amusement glistened in his eyes.

The girl nervously tended back to me and shuffled forward. She went down the long hallway and stopped in front of room 123.45. "After you."

I slowly made my way into the room and stood awkwardly in the corner.

"Hey um sit on the bed." She gestured for to sit on the medical bed with a sheet over it. I complied and swung my legs back and forth. She began moving things around, prepping for the exam. I noticed that she kept sending fleeting glances my way and bit her cheek to stop her smile when she saw me on the bed. I couldn't help but smirk. She blushed heavily when she saw me catch her looking. A heavy awkward silence hung around us and I decided to break it.

"What's your name?" She stopped and looked at me.

"You mean.. Me?" She asked.

I chuckled. "Who else?"

She giggled nervously. "Good point. I'm Perrie Edwards."

I gave her a cheeky grin and looked out the window. She came to me to check my blood pressure. I could feel my heart rate speeding up the longer her touch lingered. She brushed her finger tips across my arm and I froze. An arc of electricity shot up my arm where she touched me. I slowly raised my eyes to see if she felt it too. Her eyes were wide and she stared at me. An overwhelming amount of emotion rose in my chest and I don't know what possessed me to lean over and kiss her. At first it was just me moving my lips against her unresponsive ones.

She stiffened and then wrapped one arm around my neck. I took this a sign to deepen the kiss when she slapped me. I felt the beginning red stinging hand print blossom into pain on my left cheek.

"You sick twisted person!" She pointed and accusing finger in my direction.
"How dare you!" She throws her arms up and shrieked. "How -how -how- what GIVES YOU YHE RIGHT TO TO TO TRY AND KISS ME?!" Her face steamed red and I sent a smirk her way, ignoring the blooming pain.

A sudden realization dawned at me. "You enjoyed it."

"N-no. It was the worse kiss ever." She tried to defend herself. Perrie then turned her back on me and fumbled with her paper work.

"Sure." I retorted, not believing her.

She sent an ice cold glare my way that froze my next snide comment in my throat.

"Just leave." Her voiced snapped and directed to the door and handed me my papers.

"What about all th-"

She shook her head. "Obviously you look fine and probably work out in the cell. Your health is fine and I don't care if you actually are injure,
Sick, or Ill. I marked all clearance for you."

I nodded and grasped the papers from her and felt the electricity spike my system again. This time, her face was void of all emotion.

As I turned to leave, she called me out. "Hey Zayn? That kiss was terrible."

I snickered. The lady does protest too much. "Whatever you say Perrie..." I softly mumbled under my breath.