17

Janey Brewster

"Janey let me help you

"Janey let me help you."

"It's okay I got it." I spoke trying to change into an oversized shirt.

He grabbed my arm anyway helping me pull it though the sleeve anyways."

" I said I was fine, you don't have to watch me, you can go home."

"Nah the doctor said you'll be weak for a couple days."

"I know but I don't feel weak." I lied

"Yeah cause you still on that medication." he laughed lowly.

I laid back in the bed trying to get comfortable. It was hard with all this bandage wrapped around my head not to mention the mild pain in my neck.

"So you still don't know who did this to you?"

"I don't wanna talk about it right now?"

"You been saying that for too long Janey this ain't nothing to be playing with. You're a mother, think about it."

"It's my fault there's nothing you need to do."

"Janey listen, I'm not doing this whole victim shit with you. I asked you a question."

" I wish everyone would stop saying that I'm not trying to be a victim. I'm just telling you how it is!"

"Aight I see we ain't gon get nothing out of this conversation." He said walking out of the room.

I pulled my knees up to my chin not wanting to argue with him anymore. I didn't want all this tension between.

"David." I called softly walking out of the room.

I saw him sitting in the guest room staring into space. He didn't even bother to look up at me.

"David" I said again catching his attention.

"Why we gotta keep doing this Janey? Every time I think we good you go and do some stupid shit."

"I honestly can't give you a straight answer." I spoke feeling my eyes water.

"Come on Janey. For real? All I want to know is why. You can't at least give me that?"

"I wasn't ready for all of this. I really wasn't."

"You weren't ready for what? Marriage?"

"Just everything my whole life I've been struggling to find myself and what I want to do with my life."

"Janey I been right there with you threw all of the shit you've been through. So why do you continuously hurt me?"

"Because you always tell me how I can get through whatever I'm going thorough and tell how much of a good person I am but I don't see it."

"If that's the case then we can get you some help but you can't keep doing this. You can't keep running away and acting out like you a kid or something. That shot ain't flying around here no more."

I just nodded not knowing what to say to him.

"We gotta be better than this. I don't wanna keep doing this back and forth shit. We gotta baby that needs role models."

"I know and I'm so sorry." I cried wrapping my arms around his neck.

"It's gonna be alright, calm down."

"No it's not, I'm sorry, I love you and Michelle so much."

"I love you too Janey but we got a long way to go before I put any trust into you."

"Believe me I know."