THIS IS WHY MOM DOESN'T FUCKING LOVE YOU

"Listen here, you freak. We all think you should leave. You have no right to be here-"
"And you do??" Ragz interuppted.

"For one, the people here actually like me. Can you say the same?"
"Of-of course I can! Allie and Peter and Quinn are my friends!"

"Are they really? How can you know?"

"Because friends care about eachother, Brussels sprouts,"

Alice stood up between them. "Guys, I know you don't get along, but please stop fighting,"

Mink shoved Alice away. "You're not in on this, you little-"

Ragz hit Mink in the shoulder. "What the hell was that? They want us to stop, don't hurt them too!"

"Why shouldn't I? They betrayed me!"

Ragz's face swapped from angry to confused. "Since when has Allie betrayed you? I don't remember them doing anything wrong to you,"

"They-They agreed to help me-they agreed to help me get rid of you!"

Ragz slowly turned to Alice. "..Allie, is this true?"

"I.. I never agreed to it," said Alice. "He-he.. he just wanted me to help him. I'm.. I'm sorry, Ragz,"

Ragz, amid his confusion, gave Alice a nod. He turned back to Mink. "..Mink, what the fuck is wrong with you?"

"How dare you use such language against me!"

"Who do you think you are? An adult?"

"I'm the oldest one here! I'm in charge!"

Ragz shoved Mink into the counter. "SHUT UP ABOUT YOU BEING THE OLDEST! PETER'S MORE RESPONSIBLE THAN YOU'LL EVER BE!

"TO HELL WITH PETER!"

"YOU'VE NEVER DONE ANY GOOD FOR ANYONE HERE! EVERYONE'D BE HAPPIER IF YOU WERE GONE!"

"I COULD SAY THE SAME ABOUT YOU, YOU BLUBBERING IDIOT!"

Peter tapped Alice on the shoulder. "Follow me. Let's.. let's get out of here for a moment," he whispered.

They discreetly left through the side door. Peter leaned against the RV, Alice by his side.

"Wait, Alice- look at the sky! I've never seen a sunset with this kind of view before,"

"..Wow,"

The cloudless sky was painted with warm oranges and pinks with a deep violet cloaking the top where day met night.

"That's.. really beautiful. I'm glad you noticed it,"

"I'm observant. Well, more I just wanted to get you away from those two, you seemed very uncomfortable,"

"Oh. Thanks for that,"

The two looked out into the sunset for a moment, the warmth of day slowly fading to the coolness of the evening. Stars twinkled faintly in the darkening sky.

"Hey, Peter, what's your favorite color?"

"Hm? Why do you ask?"

"I know everyone's favorite color, except for yours. I just wanted to know,"

Peter put his hand to his chin for a moment. "My favorite color is orange,"

"Oh. I thought it would be yellow,"

"I hate yellow. I've always hated yellow," he tugged at his hair.

"Why do you hate yellow? Your hair is yellow, isn't it?"

"Mi madre dyed it this way so she could always see me in a crowd. At least, that's what she says. She knew I hated yellow. It reminds me of my papá and I hate that it reminds me of my papá,"

"Do you like your papa?"

"Oh, I loved my papá. Yellow was his favorite color,"

"Then why do you hate yellow?"

"Bad associations. His raincoat was bright yellow.. and that was the last thing I ever saw him in,"

"Oh.. what happened to him?"

"My parents divorced a few years back. Mi madre spent all her savings getting a great lawyer and lying her way into full custody. We lived off his child support payments for years.. but I haven't even heard from my papá in all that time,"

"That's terrible,"

Peter's face was red. "Mi madre didn't think so. She thought she was right in taking her son away from the man he admired most. I had to hide this coat from her for years so she couldn't take it from me," he grabbed at the loose sleeves.

"Was that coat from your papa?"

"Yes. I always loved this coat," he messed with the zipper, leaving the coat open. "My papá was my biggest inspiration. He-he was a brilliant inventor, and I always wanted to be just like him when I was older,"

"You want to be an inventor?"

"Oh, sí! I.. I wanna make something big someday. Like- something that'll change the world. I wanna change the world,"

"What's your idea? Like- to change the world, I mean,"

"Flying cars. I know, I know, it's an old idea, but I really think I could make it work. I've done calculations, tons of math, everything,"

Alice nodded. "I think you could do it,"

"I.. I think I could do it too," Peter shrugged. There was a bit of an awkward silence. "..I feel really dumb for hating a color so much,"

"It's not dumb, if it makes you upset, it makes you upset,"

"The thing is- I kind of.. do like yellow?? I mean, I hate my hair, but.. the color yellow is comforting to me too. It reminds me of my papá in good ways and bad ways,"

"Maybe... maybe you should try and focus on the good things you remember about your papa rather than dwell on the bad,"

"Huh. Maybe that's a good idea,"

"Don't focus on the raincoat or something, and focus on how much he inspired you. Focus on the flying car,"

Peter took off his glasses for a moment, cleaning them with the edge of his coat. "My papá would be so proud that I'm making friends,"

"Hello Snow pea! Hello Fog boy! What're you two doin' on the roof?" asked Crazy Dave as he approached with Pudding.

"Oh, we were just talking," said Alice.

"That's nice. How're the rest of the kiddos?"

...

Ragz and Mink sat on opposite ends of the RV; Mink in the bed area and Ragz at the table. The room was tense.

"..Hey, should I.. should I try making dinner or something?" asked Peter. "I'm not that good at cooking, but I could try,"

"Sure," said Ragz. "I could go for about anything right now,"

"I think I still 'ave some sandwich stuff in the cupboard, if ya' want sandwiches," said Crazy Dave.

"That's fine, I could make that." Peter opened the cupboard. It was empty. "-Or not. Crazy Dave, we don't have anything,"

"Whadda ya mean? We jus' had bacon yesterday!"

"You ate it all. We do not have any food,"

"Oh. That's a bit of a problem,"

Peter looked through a few more cupboards, only pulling out two bottles of water. "This is all we have for tonight,"

"Well, we ought'a go get food tomorrow. You hear that, kiddos? We're goin' out tomorrow!"