Chapter 9 - Duet Auditions

Emily's POV:
Today was the day of the duet auditions. Michelle and I had gotten up extra early to go to Tim Horton's to buy the dancers a special treat for all their hard work. When we arrived at the studio some dancers were already waiting outside, obviously eager to practice once more before the auditions.
Michelle and I sat in the office discussing what we were looking for in the duet.
Our main priorities were chemistry, passion and realism. If we wanted to win Regionals this dance had to be perfect.
Around 8:30 am we decide to get the auditions started.
The partners were Reuben and Isabella, Marianne and Aidan, Orla and Patrick, Kayla and Jamie, Bailey and Alison and Tiana and Jay.
We called each duet up one by one.
Each duet was incredible but Michelle and I both knew who stood out the most to us.
"Thank you guys, you were all incredible. Michelle and I are going to discuss some things before we get back to you." I say before I follow Michelle into the office.
"So..." I say, sitting down. "Obviously we already know who the winners are."
Michelle nods. "Kayla and Jamie."
"It was so beautiful and it is one hundred percent going to give us that edge at Regionals." I smile.
"And that song!" Michelle lets out an amazed sigh. "Inside Out was the perfect choice."
"I completely agree."
"Let's go tell the dancers then." Michelle says, already walking out.
"Alright team." I say as all of A-Troupe turn to us.
"All of your dances were amazing but there can only be one winner." Michelle says.
"Our duet for Regionals is-" I say.
"-Kayla and Jamie!" Michelle shouts, cutting me off.
Everyone claps and cheers for them.
"There are donuts on that table over there as a treat for all your hard work. Tuck in!" I say.
The dancers all run to the table.
"Miss Emily." I hear a voice say.
"Yeah?" I turn around to see Reuben standing there.
"Can I speak with you please?" He asks.
"Sure." I say, taking him into the office. "What's wrong?"
"Why didn't I get the duet? We all know Isabella and I are the best dancers in the studio." He says.
"Reuben... it isn't just about being the best dancers. Michelle and I were looking for a lot of things. It was a romantic duet... we needed chemistry, realism. And it's obvious you don't have that with Isabella." I let out a sigh.
"That isn't my fault. I couldn't exactly ask one of the guys to do a duet with me, could I? Not without anyone judging anyway..." He looks down.
"Reuben... you have to find that special someone that you have that chemistry with. Nobody will judge you, and even if they do you have to learn to rise above it. At the end of the day it's your life, not theirs. You don't have to care about what all the others think or say... a bit like me and Michelle." I smile.
Reuben smiles too. "Thank you, Miss Emily." He walks out of the office and straight over to the donut box.
I follow him out, walking over to take the last donut.
"There isn't even one for me?" I hear Michelle ask.
"You ate my pancakes yesterday so no donuts for you." I laugh.
Michelle looks down with a smirk on her face.
"Well what would you do if I did this?" And with that, she grabs my donut straight out of my hand and starts to run.
I chase after her laughing. "Get back here!"