Chapter 6

Less than a month until the great opening of the Hunted Opera Populaire and everything ran smoothly and of course, filled with worry. Tickets already started to be sold, posters to be posted and final rehearsals were on the way.

Through this time, Erik had been leaving letters to the young owner with instructions and changes that should happen on the performance of the cast or the orchestra. Weirdly, never his letters mentioned anything about the ballet team; not yet.

So far Madame Giry had done an excellent job and the new ballerinas were more prominent than the last ones. It was almost like the dark past when he ran the Opera, when he was feared and when he had everything.

However, now, he had to stay low and the kind Irish had taken his place in perfecting the play. Following his instructions, he corrected each person but his way was... strange to the musical genius.

He stood as usual in his box, observing the rehearsals. Keegan sat on a chair next to him, observing as well. The young boy had taken a liking to him and his box, often refusing to leave and preferred to tear up and stand his ground than ran away.

In the end, Erik gave in and allowed him to stay and visit. Secretly and deep down, he enjoyed the company of the quiet boy and slowly found himself guiding him and teaching him the proper ways of music and dancing.

He could still remember when the two of them met the first time.

=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/=

3.5 weeks ago

Erik made his way to his box using one of his favourite passages, not in the mood to play it brave and walk normally. As he opened the mirror and walked in, he noticed that he wasn't alone. No, the younger of the Farrell siblings were with him as well.

His back turned on the Phantom, he observed the ballerinas dance and slowly tried to mimic some of their moves; quite badly and clumsy.

Our dear Phantom observed him, not really approving of a male ballerina but he could see the flame and passion in the boy's eyes as he tried to practice.

"You shouldn't be here" he finally said, masking his voice and using an old trick to make it echo in the box; never giving away his position in the shadows.

Keegan stopped and lowered his lifted leg, eyes wide as he carefully looked around in search for the owner of this hunting but powerful voice. Unable to do so, he stood normally and slammed his back on the balcony wall, his eyes trying to look for anything that will give away the mysterious voice.

Erik noticed this but wasn't surprised. He had a tendency of scaring people without even showing his face and he was nothing but a young boy. However, as Erik inspected better he noticed that he wasn't afraid of him as his eyes went to the shadows while also himself making sure to stay close to the candles.

Was he afraid of the shadows? No... he was afraid of the darkness.

"You are scared of the darkness aren't you?" he said rather amused.

"..No... I am not scared..." Keegan said, trying to find all the courage he could.

"Is that so?"

Accepting the challenge, Erik did another trick and killed the flames of the candles; allowing the room to be engulfed in darkness. The only source of light coming from the balcony that overlooked the stage but that was barely enough.

Keegan's eyes widen and tried to steady his breathing, his whole body shaking while tears threaten to escape his eyes.

"I... I am... not... scared... I... am not... scared... I am not... scared" the same words repeatedly left his mouth as his breath calmed down. Suddenly, the door of the box opened slightly as Cu jumped in and stood protectively in front of his young master.